Cackle Hatchery Surprise, 1 month old chicks

SlipsWife

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Odessa, Texas
Our surprise chicks are over a month old already! We can't figure out what the white chick is in the first picture. It seems to be feathering VERY slowly compared to the others but is slowly catching up. There are 2 of them, the other isn't as 'bulky'. The second pic I believe is a Buttercup but I'm not sure. Her legs are a slate color almost the same as the chick next to her.

This picture is more 'just for fun'. The second chick we KNOW is a roo. Well, we really, really, really think so, almost from day 1! We kept him mainly to say, 'See, we were right!'. Now, with that said, does it mean the other chick might be a pullet due to the difference in tail feathers? I hope that's not the case because almost all of our polish from the surprise have the same tail feathers as the one on the right...most of them seem a little rooish too though but don't 'scream' it like he has. Any input or guesses just for fun. I know it's still to early!

I was going to say white jersey giant - I got one in a batch of chicks once, they start out blue but feather in white.

I was going to say white jersey giant - I got one in a batch of chicks once, they start out blue but feather in white.
Were you happy with them? From what I've read they are dual purpose. I'm trying to decide who to keep and who to sell (or use for meat birds, which wasn't our original plan but I would like to give it a try at least once). We have 46 right now (different ages) and will probably only keep 15 or so. If they get as large as the website says they might be our first meat birds but I'm not sure if I should separate them and start feeding them differently now that we know what they are.

Were you happy with them? From what I've read they are dual purpose. I'm trying to decide who to keep and who to sell (or use for meat birds, which wasn't our original plan but I would like to give it a try at least once). We have 46 right now (different ages) and will probably only keep 15 or so. If they get as large as the website says they might be our first meat birds but I'm not sure if I should separate them and start feeding them differently now that we know what they are.
I have Jersey Giants and they get huge! I have only four right now a blue roo who is two this year a hen the same age, another hen that is almost a year and one 6 week old plus a JG/comet which I know is a roo getting his comb and waddles plus they are turning red, he is cool though and getting really big I will take pic's tomorrow. I love the breed, my big roo is so sweet he just walks around telling his hens what to, where there's good grub.

I love pictures!
big_smile.png

Were you happy with them?  From what I've read they are dual purpose.  I'm trying to decide who to keep and who to sell (or use for meat birds, which wasn't our original plan but I would like to give it a try at least once).  We have 46 right now (different ages) and will probably only keep 15 or so.  If they get as large as the website says they might be our first meat birds but I'm not sure if I should separate them and start feeding them differently now that we know what they are. 

I ordered the random breed special, I ended up with one white and one black JG. The white was a boy so I didn't keep him. The black was a pullet but I didn't keep her either. She was average sized, not huge.

Back
Top Bottom