1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cackle hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ameraucanacrazy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i ordered last year from cackle hatchury and i got one baby that his beak was messed up one part was left and the other part was right amazingly he lived to be 7 weeks old i ordered again this year and they r comming this firday is cackle hatchery a good hatury sould i have ordered some where different

2. atlantachickenwhisperer

atlantachickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Atlanta
    Hey,

Yes, Cackle Hatchery is a good hatchery. You have to take into consideration that many of these hatcheries ship millions of baby chicks each year! Most vent sexers for example can vent sex about 1000 chicks an hour! WOW! Some customers are bound to get a DOA or a deformed chick every now and then. Just call them. I bet they will make it right! [​IMG]

Chicken Whisperer

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I love cackle hatchery. i ordered from them last spring. they sent 2 extras. 1 was DOA, but thats to be expected, luckly it was the extra male they put in. The quality of their birds is amazing. i was expecting birds that were not up to standard, but the quality is great. i dont think you will be dissapointed.

4. bakingbluesfan

bakingbluesfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Hello

I got 25 chicks from my local Rural King on the 12th. They get their chicks from Cackle Hatchery. All of mine are doing great!

Good luck!

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Cackle is a great hatchery! Unlike most hatcherys Cackle really doesn't have their own breeders. They have them on farms all around them. I think most are Amish farms but not certain. The birds are great quality and very healthy!
    [​IMG]

6. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    When I ordered from Cackle two years ago, I ordered 30 Silkie chicks. I ended up with 33, and I only lost one within a day, but he was small. I took them to the county fair and didn't win anything, but they have all been very healthy so far. I ended up selling over half of them, but I still have 14 from the original batch. They are all healthy and happy.

I probably would not order from them again though. About 10 of those chicks had extra toes (6, not 5), and about 4 others had curled feet. I ended up with very slim pickings for the county fair, since I had three different colors. They did accidently slip in a splash rooster though. He is pretty sweet.

7. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    My silver laced wyandottes are from cackle and I think they are nice. I have friends that ordered some silkies from them last year and won a couple ribbons at the county fair.

8. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I placed an order with Cackle on 1/1/09, it supposed to get hear on the 25 or 26 of this month. I want them to be healthy but I would also like to have ordered from a breeder of the chicks I plan on getting. I ordered about 16 baby chicks.

9. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    i havent heard anythign bad abotu them.but you have to know even in your backyard healthy chicks your going have every once in a while deformed chick..feet beak something.

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I got 25 + 2 extras Bantams from Cackle week ago, all alive and happy, very satisfied with their birds and service (they called me day before chicks arrived!, provided free heat pack in the shipping box for the comfort of the birds).

Obviously no hatchery can inspect every bird for proper beaks, or toes, if they did we would be paying for chicks much more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by