Cackle's Ancona Ducks?

I ordered five Anconas from them last year via my local feedstore. All five survived and are doing great. That's saying alot since I had a fox wipe out almost everything else including seven muscovies who were twice as big as the Anconas. I ended up with two males and three females. I was getting about two eggs a day until about a month ago.

Thanks. I ran the numbers on the various purveyors of anconas I could find, and Cackle is definitely the most reasonably priced. Too often there's a reason for a low price, but Cackle enjoys a relatively benign reputation here on the board, at least for its chickens, as a provider of decent-quality birds for backyard flocks (not talking about show birds or exceptional breeding stock).

Too bad Holderread got out of them. His birds were (show-stock excepted) reasonably priced as well--especially considering their quality.

I agree with Holderreads. But then again that's one less breed I have to choose from this spring.
smile.png
As it is I know I will be ordering some Saxony and Indian Runners from there. And perhaps some Australian Spotted or Mini Appleyard. Can't decide which of those two breeds I like better.

We order 7 from Cackle (3 survived the witty fox attacks). One hen was the first to start laying this year and is about to hatch her first batch. I have noticed they are a much wider, larger bird than the others - who originally came from Holderread's. But ours have been selectively bred to move and forage in a free-range fashion. This is the first year I've had them penned. Now they are all about the same size. The Cackle birds slimmed and trimmed a bit and the Holderreads' have bulked up. Also, Cackle = black & white, our Holderread's = every color imaginable!

Back
Top Bottom