1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cackle's Ancona Ducks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Ahab, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ahab

Ahab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    As anyone ordered Ancona ducks from Cackle? Experiences? Impressions?

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I have not ordered from them but I have seen them. They seem pretty decent ducks. I have been told they lay pretty well.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I've ordered them!!! Will always prefer Cackle Hatchery over all the other Hatcherys

4. Ahab

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks. And how were they? To type? Broody? Foragers?

5. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I ordered five Anconas from them last year via my local feedstore. All five survived and are doing great. That's saying alot since I had a fox wipe out almost everything else including seven muscovies who were twice as big as the Anconas. I ended up with two males and three females. I was getting about two eggs a day until about a month ago.

6. Ahab

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks. I ran the numbers on the various purveyors of anconas I could find, and Cackle is definitely the most reasonably priced. Too often there's a reason for a low price, but Cackle enjoys a relatively benign reputation here on the board, at least for its chickens, as a provider of decent-quality birds for backyard flocks (not talking about show birds or exceptional breeding stock).

Too bad Holderread got out of them. His birds were (show-stock excepted) reasonably priced as well--especially considering their quality.

7. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I agree with Holderreads. But then again that's one less breed I have to choose from this spring. [​IMG] As it is I know I will be ordering some Saxony and Indian Runners from there. And perhaps some Australian Spotted or Mini Appleyard. Can't decide which of those two breeds I like better.

8. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    We order 7 from Cackle (3 survived the witty fox attacks). One hen was the first to start laying this year and is about to hatch her first batch. I have noticed they are a much wider, larger bird than the others - who originally came from Holderread's. But ours have been selectively bred to move and forage in a free-range fashion. This is the first year I've had them penned. Now they are all about the same size. The Cackle birds slimmed and trimmed a bit and the Holderreads' have bulked up. Also, Cackle = black & white, our Holderread's = every color imaginable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by