Cackling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mahen8622, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    my meemaw always told me ill know when my hens lay their eggs because theyll cackle afterward my hens are young and very silent when i watch them lay or am out and about the yard while theyre on the nest is this just and old wives tail my meemaw has heard or is there something to it and my hens are just silent layers?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've had both kinds. I think I prefer the silent ones. The cacklers can go on for a half hour. Drove me nuts!

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I have a RIR that has been laying for 2 weeks, never made a sound. The black aus. started laying on Saturday and we knew it. The whole county knew it. She sang the " I laid an egg song" for a long time. The Wyndotte laid the next day and never made a sound. Guess there are some extraverts and some introverts.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BSL and RIR don't care a whit about their eggs. The BR, however, gets all worked up and has to tell everyone.

5. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    i have both kinds here too! Some howdy hoo and sing an opera and some are like"Whatevah"!

6. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I got a little brahma hen that makes the announcement for the other hens. She doesn't lay, except maybe 5 eggs a year.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] That's so cute.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have both. My one RIR hen would go on for about 1 hr after she layed. As she has gotten older she has stopped being so noisy about it.

9. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Some of my hens don't make much fuss when they lay. But here's what my Delawares do:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by