Cage in run for bully victim?

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
Short story: can I put a hen in a separate cage in the run so she’s with her pals, but not getting her feathers pecked? She needs time to heal but I don’t want her to have a hard time reintegrating back in...

Long story: The last few weeks I’ve notice my 1 yr old EE was missing feathers on the base of her tail (downy feathers exposed). I looked her over she wasn’t acting sick and I couldn’t see any evidence of mites/lice. I watched for feather picking but I didn’t notice anyone else picking on her...only her grooming herself.
Now this week she is starting to lose feathers on her shoulders/wings?...and I notice some missing on the back of her neck. Tonight as they were going to roost she was acting afraid of everyone and her tail was down. I checked her over and her shoulder/wing was starting to show inflamed skin so I took her out. Right before I took her two different hens started pecking at her.
I want to get her back out there before everyone heads out to the run in the morning so hopefully they won’t notice she was missing during the night. She is already bottom of the pecking order and I don’t want to make it worse by reintegrating her later.
Can she spend a few days in a crate in the run? Will that still be isolating? I’m getting some pick-no-more in the am...but I want her to not feel afraid and stressed either.
Some info-
-I have 5 hens all 1 year old.
-My EE has always been anxious and flighty.
-I have another hen that’s a jerk.
-EE tried going broody for a day 2 weeks ago. (Hasn’t laid an egg since)
-It’s been over 100 degrees the last week. Iced water + misters near run.
-coop has 5ft per bird.
-Run has 12ft per bird.
-10” per bird roost space. (More if they didn’t all cram onto the top roost-I’m trying to remedy this)
-cal ranch layer feed +oyster & grit on side
-2 feeders and 2 waterers (+feed in treat dispensers as a toy)
Btw I’m 1 year in and really trying the best I can. Sometimes my research doesn’t answer everything so I come here. As soon as I learn I’m doing something wrong, I’m real quick to change things up so please be kind.

Short answer: yes!

You can put her in the run in a crate. Put it in the shade, give her her own water and feed. Depending on your crate, you can hang water and feed up. We use plastic containers or large plastic cups. One cup gets two holes to hang and a small block of wood or similar. Then second cup gets the feed or water. The filled cup can easily be removed to clean/replace and the other cup stays clipped to cage. The wood is just to elevate the filled cup to make it easier to remove (so no need to be a big piece) . I find it is easier to elevate the feed water in a smaller cage.

we had to do just this with one bird. We did cage in run for several days. Once healed, she slept in cage in the barn, but was out in the run with the others about 1 hour after everyone was let out and until about 2 hours before dark. We avoided the most intense pecking-order hours that way (getting food when first let out and going to roost). Then, when much improved got to roost with the flock.

our caged bird really wanted to be with the flock, and it caused some anxiety, but also needed to heal. Being prey animals, be mindful of cage placement so placement doesn’t add to the stress.

good luck!

Might want to take a look at this article, I think it addresses your exact issue and intended approach: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/
Wow this is exactly what I’m seeing! My EE is sitting calmly in the dog crate while the other chickens gather around her assuming she has something they don’t. Because she was so calm, I let her out for a few minutes. She immediately squawked and ran to the coop to hide. I put her back in the dog crate and she is happy as a lark. I’ll go ahead and let her enjoy her safe space for now.

Back
Top Bottom