Calcium citrate administration

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Okay seriously do I just shove the pill down her throat? Cuz I haven't had much luck with her swallowing it when I put it in her mouth. Do I crush it up and mix with water and use a syringe? She is a bit finicky so I think just crushing it up and sprinkling it over food won't work unless MAYBE its frozen peas?

Idk what has work best for you?

Okay seriously do I just shove the pill down her throat? Cuz I haven't had much luck with her swallowing it when I put it in her mouth. Do I crush it up and mix with water and use a syringe? She is a bit finicky so I think just crushing it up and sprinkling it over food won't work unless MAYBE its frozen peas?

Idk what has work best for you?
I have been giving calcium pills to my girl this week due to some soft egg shells. Just crush it and mix it in something she likes that it'll stick to...I've used mashed bananas, scrambled eggs, even crushed blueberries. You don't need much of the treat to get it hidden in there pretty good.

I have been giving calcium pills to my girl this week due to some soft egg shells. Just crush it and mix it in something she likes that it'll stick to...I've used mashed bananas, scrambled eggs, even crushed blueberries. You don't need much of the treat to get it hidden in there pretty good.
I'll try.... She's pretty willy

I take a hammer and smash up the pills. There's a technique to use so all the pills don't go flying but take your time and be gentle with the hammer. I sprinkle it on top of their duck pellets usually, especially if I've got the girls and boys separated.
I put the 'thing to be hammered' in a bag or under a cloth then hit it, that keeps the pieces under control.

Back
Top Bottom