Calcium Gluconate

Only the thread starter can change the title of the thread, but there is a time limit. Golden Feather members can edit for maybe 2 months? After that you would have to ask a moderator to do it.

-Kathy

Let me know if you all want me to try to get it changed.

@KsKingBee , see if you are able to edit the title of this thread -- you were the one that started it, so you are the only one that can change it (unless we ask a moderator for help...) So the word "glutenate" in the thread title should probably be changed to "G-L-U-C-O-N-A-T-E" which will help people find the information they need. (You were only off by 2 letters -- a pretty good shot at such a weird word
wink.png
)

Hi all-

I know this is an old discussion, but I'm a total newbie to this egg bound thing. I had a 4 YO Buff Orpington who was egg bound a couple of weeks ago and we almost lost her. The only thing I had was vaseline, so I put that in her vent (just at the opening). The egg was pretty high up, however, so it took a few hours to get where it needed to go. She started perking up a few hours after that and the next morning was scratching and pecking like usual. Then there was an egg on the ground next to her. It was a small egg, so I was confused as to why she was egg bound, but she's old, so something could be going on with her.

I saw the mention of Calcium Gluconate for this and bought some- just to have on hand. This morning she went to sit on the nesting box for a few minutes and then got out. I'm concerned that she might be getting egg bound again, even though she's acting normally (I'm paranoid). I have the 23% solution of CG. If I have to give it to her, can I give it orally or does it need to be subcutaneous? If subcutaneous, then where do most people get the syringes? I'd like to have everything on hand just in case.

Also, I tried to follow that other thread, but it's so long and most of it I didn't understand. If giving subcutaneous fluids, what do you use? Just water or is there some saline solution that needs to be mixed up? Sorry for all the questions. I'm not new to owning chickens, but new to this problem.

First. Subcutaneous fluids need to be bags of lactate ringers or sodium chloride. If you cannot get those, you can tube fluids.

where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom