Calcium ring fertilized egg & hen laying frequent calcium ring eggs.

Red-The-Roo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
Lately my hen layed 3 eggs, all with rings of calcium around them. It might be because of stress or old age buuutttt... Side note, I don't know who's laying them šŸ˜¬

Recently (about 2 Ā½ days ago) my Buff Orpington hen started to brood on the eggs and I just checked them and candled them and they're all fertilized,, including the calcium ring egg I uh didn't know was there.... Will my chick survive? Will it have trouble hatching? Kinda concerned for the baby

Need info kinda soon :(

Lately my hen layed 3 eggs, all with rings of calcium around them. It might be because of stress or old age buuutttt... Side note, I don't know who's laying them šŸ˜¬

Recently (about 2 Ā½ days ago) my Buff Orpington hen started to brood on the eggs and I just checked them and candled them and they're all fertilized,, including the calcium ring egg I uh didn't know was there.... Will my chick survive? Will it have trouble hatching? Kinda concerned for the baby

Need info kinda soon :(
Can I see a pic of the egg

Can I see a pic of the egg
I don't have pictures atm (It's 12 am my time) but there's a pic from an article here that looks identical to it
(Also it's actually called a body checked egg or something, correcting myself lol)

Attachments

• 2171643-b4140a78c9b9124765e818fbfad62d2a.jpg
    2171643-b4140a78c9b9124765e818fbfad62d2a.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7
I don't have pictures atm (It's 12 am my time) but there's a pic from an article here that looks identical to it
(Also it's actually called a body checked egg or something, correcting myself lol)
Since it is a checked egg meaning that it was once broken, bacteria could have gotten into the shell which could simply cause the chick to not form or because the shell is abnormal the chick may not be able to break out. Your best bet is to either take the egg from her now or take a risk and see what happens. When you candle them does the chick look any different than the others in some way?

Recently (about 2 Ā½ days ago) my Buff Orpington hen started to brood on the eggs and I just checked them and candled them and they're all fertilized
You could see veins that soon?

Since it is a checked egg meaning that it was once broken, bacteria could have gotten into the shell
But the checking, and repair, happens inside the bird so bacteria is unlikely.

Never heard much about hatching these type of eggs, wait and see.

Will my chick survive?
I personally would not worry that much about bacteria being inside since that happened in the shell gland. I'd sniff that egg every day for the next week or two. If bacteria did get inside you should smell the rotten egg smell through the porous shell.

Will it have trouble hatching?
If it pips and tries to zip on that line it certainly could. If the pip misses that thick part it should not be a problem.

Lately my hen layed 3 eggs, all with rings of calcium around them.
This is the reason I would not hatch that egg. With three times, there is something wrong with that hen. I don't know if it is genetic or not, but I would not risk putting those genetics in my flock.

When you candle them does the chick look any different than the others in some way?
Nope, not really.

I personally would not worry that much about bacteria being inside since that happened in the shell gland. I'd sniff that egg every day for the next week or two. If bacteria did get inside you should smell the rotten egg smell through the porous shell.

If it pips and tries to zip on that line it certainly could. If the pip misses that thick part it should not be a problem.

Alright, I'll do that šŸ‘

Also I think the air sac should be on the opposite side as the calcium ring, but it could hatch in an odd position.
This is the reason I would not hatch that egg. With three times, there is something wrong with that hen. I don't know if it is genetic or not, but I would not risk putting those genetics in my flock.

It's due to stress or old age, my hen is around 2-3 years old, I think that's why. Don't think it's genetic

You could see veins that soon?
Yep! In all of em too. :)

Back
Top Bottom