Calcium supplementation

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
Another q!!! I've been making bone broth for myself. This involves taking water, a splash of vinegar to help dissolve the calcium out of the bones and bones and cooking them until they're soft and have visible pitting. I can literally take some of these bones and mush them up. There's no harm, imo, of choking on splintered bone. Can I take crumbled bone and feed it to the quail for calcium instead of oyster shells, which will cost money, or egg shells, which require a food processor to crush up into dust?

Thanks again,
Sandra

IF THEY ARE FED A PROPER GBS THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY NEED SUPPLIMENTAL CALCIUM (IT NEVER HURTS THEM AND MANY DO LIKE OYSTER SHELL AND WHATNOT)

QUAIL ARE MUCH MORE EFFICIENT AT ABSORBING CALCIUM FROM THEIR DIET SO THEREFORE HAVE THE LUXURY OF NOT NEEDING TO BE SUPPLIMENTED LIKE MANY OTHER TYPES OF POULTRY. SUPPLIMENTATION WILL NOT HARM THEM IN ANY WAY, BUT IT ISNT MANDATORY. AS FAR AS YOUR BONE IDEA.... I WOULDNT BOIL THEM JUST DRY 'EM OUT AND CRUSH- THIS WAY YOU WILL NOT ONLY BOOST CALCIUM BUT VIT B-12 AS WELL WHICH IS A CRUCIAL PART OF THE DIETARY NEEDS

1) I can't handle oyster shells, due to a severe shellfish allergy.
2) I boil the bones to make myself soup. I wanted to know if I could take the leftover bone, which is no longer hard, and mash it for them. Crushing bones is not something I have the ability to do, nor do I have uncooked bones to feed to them.
3) Not sure how the B12 is related to it... B12 is in all animal products. Why would crushing them be rich in B12 when mashing would not? I don't follow.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom