calcuim for hens

You can microwave fresh egg shells for 1 minute and pulverize them easily. I got this tip on this site.
smile.png

I guess the microwave could do fine. I do not waste any electricity baking mine. I just put the egg shells in a pan in the oven until I throw biscuits or cornbread in there.

There are plenty of nutrients in milk that more than make up for an inability to digest lactose. Goats milk has less lactose than cows milk, easier to digest proteins and fats.

I would never waste a free protein source for my animals. We give the dogs, the cat, the chickens and sometimes even a rabbit or two extra milk.

My chickies (and other animals) are healthy, kept in clean conditions, and fed properly formulated rations for their purpose. Feeding milk as a treat isn't going to hurt them unless they are already susceptable to a bacterial overgrowth.

I don't disagree that it *may* be possible to serve as a medium for bacteria, but I do disagree that feeding it as a treat to healthy birds will cause any ill effects.

There are plenty of nutrients in milk that more than make up for an inability to digest lactose. Goats milk has less lactose than cows milk, easier to digest proteins and fats.

I would never waste a free protein source for my animals. We give the dogs, the cat, the chickens and sometimes even a rabbit or two extra milk.

My chickies (and other animals) are healthy, kept in clean conditions, and fed properly formulated rations for their purpose. Feeding milk as a treat isn't going to hurt them unless they are already susceptable to a bacterial overgrowth.

I don't disagree that it *may* be possible to serve as a medium for bacteria, but I do disagree that feeding it as a treat to healthy birds will cause any ill effects.

As a lactose intolerant human, I can say that if everything is moving too fast - nothing is going to be of benefit.

A tablespoon or 2 of milk isn't going to cause me any problem and you may be feeding your chickens only a limited amount of milk so that they aren't affected in any serious manner. I do, however, have greater capacity than a 6 pound hen.

If you have surplus milk, that's great. Yogurt cultures produce the necessary enzyme during fermentation and the product is more easily digested.

Steve​

Back
Top Bottom