1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calibrated Hygrometer way off???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by needtohatch, Mar 16, 2009.

1. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I calibrated my hygrometer last night and after 11 hours it reads 65% has not changed for the last 2 hours. Could it be off that much or did I do something wrong? I mixed 1/2 C salt to 1/4 C water in coffee cup and sealed it and the thermomiter/hygro combo in freezer bag then left overnight. The thermomiter part is dead on for temp.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That means it's reading 10% too low and if you think your humidity is 50%, it's really 60%. I didnt get that backwards, right, LOL?

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    So it could really be off by 10%? It is brand new (well had it in bator for a few days) and I really wondered about it since I could not get the humidity up past 38% with all the water tray filled in my LG. Now I know why. Guess it was really 48%. That makes me feel a little better.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they can be way off. I have one AcuRite that reads 10% lower on humidity than the other one.

5. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have one I bought from Walmart that is off by 15%

6. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My acurite from walmart is 8% off. They should really change the brand name lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by