Calibrating Dickey ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rebecky54, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    I am going to order a Dickey 2x2 incubator, and I wonder if I will need to calibrate the thermometer/hygrometer that comes with it? If I do, what type of thermometer/hygrometer should I use/

Thank you!

Becky

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have a Dickey 2x2 myself and use the thermometer/hygrometer that came with it. I would recommend calibrating the hyrgrometer as they can sometimes be off by a good bit. It's not hard to do, but takes about two days.

Here's a link to the best explanation of the process I've found:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Prevent-Mold!-Hygrometer-Calibration&id=602308

You don't have use all the various salts it talks about. Plain, ordinary table salt is all you need and follow the directions.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have a dickeys incubator and a dickeys 5 tray hatcher. I used the digital thermometer/ hygrometer that came with and didn't have to calibrate anything. Maybe I should have but didn't.

I do recommend running it with all the vents opened for at least one week and open the door with it running for a few minutes every day during that time. There was a strong smell of wood finish in both of mine that took a while to dissipate.

I set eggs right away and had horrible hatches for the first month and I am sure if I had took the time to air it out things would have been fine.

I love my dickeys incubators. My hatch rates have shot thru the roof. Before them I was hatching maybe 30% to 50% and thinking that was great because the araucana breed is always difficult to hatch. Now I am hatching at 95% which really for araucana is amazing. Last week only 1 egg didn't hatch.

You will love the dickeys.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by