Calibration Confusion... What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch81, Jun 26, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I calibrated both of my hydrometers yesterday. I put 1/2 cup salt in a glass and added 1/4 cup of water. I then placed the glass and both hydrometers in a gallon ziploc bag. At the end of the 8 hours, one hydrometer read 73% and the other read 67%. So I put a little sticker on the top of each one noting how many points I had to add to each one. This morning however, both hydrometers are giving me the same reading of 54%. They are both just sitting on the counter right next to each other. I'm confused now, since if I added 8 points to the one it would be 62%, and if I added 2 points to the other it would be 56% and they wouldn't be anywhere close to the same... What do you make of this? One hydrometer is an ACU-RITE, and the other is a Springfield precise temp. Both are giving me the same temp reading.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Calibration is really only accurate at the humidity you calibrated it too. Especially with digitals... We do 75% because salt is easy to get. An 80% is the danger point most don't want to go over. Other than staying under 80% you dont need accuracy anyway. You only need consistency. If 40% is to low for you this time it will be the next time too. Does not really matter if 40% is really 40%.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would recalibrate them and see what you come up with a second time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by