California grey—how much longer to wait for laying eggs

Chickmamajessica

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
619340EF-0F6B-47D5-A95F-72B99BA1740F.jpeg

My girl is 15 weeks and doesn’t even have any wattle or redness of her comb. I know they don’t typically start laying til 20-24 weeks, but judging by her development would you pros assume she won’t start laying til closer to 24 weeks?? I’m a first time chicken owner and ready to start reaping the benefits but I know it still could be a while.

I don't know about California Grey's specifically (pretty bird you have there) but 15 weeks is early for most any chicken breed. I've had a couple that started at 18/19 weeks but 24-28 is a lot more common in my flock. My 6 from June this year are now 20 weeks so getting closer! :D

Is it fall or spring where you are?

Your pullet looks like she's pinking up nicely to me, but if it's fall in your location with days shortening she will probably take longer to lay than if she'd been the same calendar age in the spring with days lengthening.
It’s fall here but I was hoping being in florida would give us an advantage. Darn!

I don't know about California Grey's specifically (pretty bird you have there) but 15 weeks is early for most any chicken breed. I've had a couple that started at 18/19 weeks but 24-28 is a lot more common in my flock. My 6 from June this year are now 20 weeks so getting closer! :D
Yeah I knew they typically don’t start laying til 20-24 weeks but I just thought it seemed like she had a lot of maturing to do in that time. I do think she’s beautiful (thank you!). I’ve read that going into fall and winter they might not lay as well either so I’m hoping that’s not the case.

I don't know about Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, since I've only had chickens in Vermont.

What I have found is that if I get the chicks early June they start laying sometime in November and lay well through the winter (regardless of "winter layer" claims).

The 2 times I got them at the end of April or early May thinking they would start laying about the time the older girls moult and quit laying until late February. Well they did start on time .... then all but one quit by mid December and didn't lay again until late February with the older girls.

I don't know about Florida, or anywhere else for that matter, since I've only had chickens in Vermont.

What I have found is that if I get the chicks early June they start laying sometime in November and lay well through the winter (regardless of "winter layer" claims).

The 2 times I got them at the end of April or early May thinking they would start laying about the time the older girls moult and quit laying until late February. Well they did start on time .... then all but one quit by mid December and didn't lay again until late February with the older girls.
That timing is important, but not precise.
I try to hatch or get chicks late March or early April.
This year it worked out good so far, pullets are all laying and I expect them to go all winter,
I do use lights tho.

Wow! I got my chicks in June too. Hopefully that’s the case!

Back
Top Bottom