California Greys

Chickenjoe123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Are california greys good foragers? Are they good mothers. Because of the breeds used to make this breed I am unsure since one is a good mother and a good forager and the other is the opposite ( white leghorn being a horriblel forager and mother and barred rock being good at both) I also like it because its an auto sex chicken that breeds true. How many eggs do they lay? Do they lay as much as white leghorns? Does anyone know of any breed that would lay every day till they die of old age? That way I don't have to kill em after they stop laying, but more importantly they will last and lay longer which means ill have more eggs

I have two California Greys. They are good foragers. I don't think that California Grey Leghorns are good mothers though. Mine have layed a lot of eggs but are currently not laying. It is winter here and they seem to be taking a long molt.

The California greys are decent foragers, but I wouldn't say they are great foragers. And they don't really go broody. Occasionally one will. They are good layers but you can't expect any chicken to lay an egg a day until they die of old age. We had a 9 year old barred rock hen who was a reliable layer for years but only laid occasionally in the last 3-4 years. California greys are active, bold birds without being as flighty as a leghorn. They are good layers and fun to have around, especially if you want white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom