California quail in California?!

cherrynberry

πŸ’β€οΈπŸ“πŸπŸ•πŸ–πŸˆ
Aug 2, 2020
California
Hello, I have checked out various threads asking this, but seem to see contradictory answers. I also read a few articles talking about how you cant own ringnecked pheasants without a permit.

I see many California quail (valley quail) in my area and was wondering if I would be able to keep one without a permit. Or which permit will I need? Thanks!

Because 'new world' quail are indigenous to North and South America and there is legal hunting of those species, a permit is required to possess or dispose, raise, sell, buy, or in some instances, body parts, eggs, and feathers.
Check with the California Natural Resources Department or Fish and Game Department for a full listing of permits or regulations regarding their requirements for legally possessing any of the regulated birds in California.

More specifically, you need a domesticated game breeders license, which costs 23$ a year if you have less than 175 birds. You'll also need to list the number of birds you have and the information (name, address, phone number) of the breeder(s) they came from. TBH, if you don't plan on selling them or their eggs, and you have a place where they can't be seen/heard by the public, then you probably wouldn't have any problems flying under the radar.

As for catching them from the wild, if that's what you mean, I strongly urge you not to for ethical and legal reasons.

More specifically, you need a domesticated game breeders license, which costs 23$ a year if you have less than 175 birds. You'll also need to list the number of birds you have and the information (name, address, phone number) of the breeder(s) they came from. TBH, if you don't plan on selling them or their eggs, and you have a place where they can't be seen/heard by the public, then you probably wouldn't have any problems flying under the radar.

As for catching them from the wild, if that's what you mean, I strongly urge you not to for ethical and legal reasons.
I was not intending to catch them, but wondering basically since I can’t house them without a permit, could I feed the wild ones nearby?

Back
Top Bottom