California white chicks

asafta

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
We bought some California white chicks and are so surprised how different they are then the rest of the chicks. 3 out of 4 at 5 weeks are huge (I mean they look almost like a full grown chicken) and 1 looks normal size compared to other chicks their age. The difference between the one that looks normal size to the other 3 is not double but possibly 4 times. They are so big that they cannot even walk far and walk a few steps and lay down. Is this normal? They do not have a more intense red crest or larger than the smaller California white. I don't know if these are roosters or they are genetically modified? I have other chicks that I clearly see the difference between pullets and cockerels. They are a little bigger but not anything like these whites. Thank you for your help!

There are no genetically modified chickens, just selectively bred ones.
Having said that, it sounds like you got meat birds and not California Whites.

Separate the big ones, give them as much room as possible, and finish them on finisher/grower for the next 2-3 weeks, then either butcher or have them butchered.

I think you were given Cornish Cross chicks. They are meat birds and grow quickly as you described. You were duped I think. A California White chicken is actually on the smaller side, very much like the leghorn from which they were bred. I'd try to get my money back if you purchased these! 😕

I think you got Cornish Cross meat birds. Attached are pictures of my California White as a chick, pullet, and layer. Her growth was the same as the other chicks I got that day (Olive Egger, Easter Egger and Blue Australorp). As a full grown hen, she has a slighter build than the others, but she gets plenty to eat, so I think it's their genetics.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG