California White Hen

I wanted to follow up in case others are curious about the California White breed. I LOVE THIS BREED! My hen Cali (Calla Lily) is one of my favorites. Even though she's only been laying for 6 weeks her eggs are GINORMOUS (average weight 65 grams) in size and pure white in color. She's a powerhouse in the egg laying department and lays almost every day without any extra light in the coop. Her body is smaller/thinner though she gets plenty to eat - I think it's just her natural build. She's a very friendly, curious chicken who knows her name and comes running over when called. She's on the top tier of the pecking order, but is nice to all the ladies in the flock. She's generally pretty quiet, lays quickly and easily, sings her egg song loudly, and will talk with me. She is not a screamer which I appreciate! She handles confinement well but also loves to come out and forage. She tolerates being cuddled about the same as my Easter Eggers (doesn't love it, but handles it fine and is good with kids), and would have probably have been cuddlier except I broke my foot when my chicks were small and was stuck in bed for 8 weeks so she didn't get much time being held. She does occasionally fly up on my lap to be held, or anytime there are treats to be had. She eats out of a bowl and also likes to be hand fed. Overall she is a really, really nice chicken and I could see having an entire flock of California Whites. If you are considering one, go for it! You will be pleasantly surprised!!!

I wanted to follow up in case others are curious about the California White breed. I LOVE THIS BREED! My hen Cali (Calla Lily) is one of my favorites. Even though she's only been laying for 6 weeks her eggs are GINORMOUS (average weight 65 grams) in size and pure white in color. She's a powerhouse in the egg laying department and lays almost every day without any extra light in the coop. Her body is smaller/thinner though she gets plenty to eat - I think it's just her natural build. She's a very friendly, curious chicken who knows her name and comes running over when called. She's on the top tier of the pecking order, but is nice to all the ladies in the flock. She's generally pretty quiet, lays quickly and easily, sings her egg song loudly, and will talk with me. She is not a screamer which I appreciate! She handles confinement well but also loves to come out and forage. She tolerates being cuddled about the same as my Easter Eggers (doesn't love it, but handles it fine and is good with kids), and would have probably have been cuddlier except I broke my foot when my chicks were small and was stuck in bed for 8 weeks so she didn't get much time being held. She does occasionally fly up on my lap to be held, or anytime there are treats to be had. She eats out of a bowl and also likes to be hand fed. Overall she is a really, really nice chicken and I could see having an entire flock of California Whites. If you are considering one, go for it! You will be pleasantly surprised!!!
How wonderful!!! Thank you for the update. I’m so glad Cali is doing well with you, your family, and your flock. She reminds me of how my Dolly was:)

My California White, Chipotle:

1118201628.jpg

She was supervising the crew installing the water line from the well to the house -- not at all intimidated by the noise of the trencher. Not the least bit high-strung or hysterical.

None of my chickens are cuddle-pets, but Chipotle is the most resistant to being touched and held. However, she is inquisitive and fearless, following me around the pen when I'm working in there.

She is a flyer, always up on top of the feeder shelter and the coop. If I find her out of the pen and up on top of the shed one day I'll shrug and figure that she's capable of getting back in when she wants to.

She often goes off by herself away from the rest of the flock but when interacting with them she takes no guff from any of them despite being considerably smaller than her Brahma and Blue Australorp sisters.

My only disappointment with her so far is that I was hoping that the black flecks would be more like Dalmatian spotting; instead she looks as if she'd been lightly sprinkled with coarse-grain pepper.

My California White, Chipotle:

View attachment 2425786

She was supervising the crew installing the water line from the well to the house -- not at all intimidated by the noise of the trencher. Not the least bit high-strung or hysterical.

None of my chickens are cuddle-pets, but Chipotle is the most resistant to being touched and held. However, she is inquisitive and fearless, following me around the pen when I'm working in there.

She is a flyer, always up on top of the feeder shelter and the coop. If I find her out of the pen and up on top of the shed one day I'll shrug and figure that she's capable of getting back in when she wants to.

She often goes off by herself away from the rest of the flock but when interacting with them she takes no guff from any of them despite being considerably smaller than her Brahma and Blue Australorp sisters.

My only disappointment with her so far is that I was hoping that the black flecks would be more like Dalmatian spotting; instead she looks as if she'd been lightly sprinkled with coarse-grain pepper.

Chipotle is awesome! I am sure that waterline was done right with her supervising! They are definitely an inquisitive breed. Cali follows me around and flies up to my lap to inspect what ever I am reading or eating. It's hysterical. I seriously love this breed!!!

Hoovers Hatchery carries the California Whites.
I highly recommend getting one! Excellent layers of ginormous white eggs, very quiet, non-flighty, holds their own in the flock but is not aggressive towards lower flock members (more of a "no-nonsense, don't mess with me and I won't bother you attitude), very friendly, curious, and fun personalities.

I had a CW some time back. She came from Hoovers and I loved her dearly. She was the friendliest chick in the brooder and never lost that friendliness. I don't recall her being a lapsitter, but she was one of my all time favorite chickens. She was a character...quirky, saucy, calm, unbelievable layer, and sweet. I lost her and ordered a bunch of them from Privett for egg layers and selling eggs. The egg selling didn't work out and they were sold. But they were not as friendly as the one from Hoovers. I love that chicken to this day.

Back
Top Bottom