California White vs Austra White

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
My daughter wants a chicken that lays white eggs (or close to white) and I’m trying to figure out a good breed to fit with our current flock. We have a Marans at the top of the pecking order, with a Speckled Sussex, Olive Egger, and Dominique below. They’re all pretty chill and get along, and I don’t want that to change if I can help it.
I live in a suburban area with low humidity, cold winters (occasionally below zero, regularly below freezing) and hot summers (usually max out in the upper 90’s) so I need something that can handle both extremes. The chicken yard is shaded by several trees, so they chickens are able to stay reasonably cool.
Egg laying ability is important, but I don’t want pure leghorns because they are generally flighty and daughter wants something friendly. I’ve been looking at Austra Whites and California Whites, and wondering what people’s experiences have been with either or both of these two breeds.

I just bought some California Whites a week ago, wanted some for several months and the feedstore got them in.

They are supposed to be gentle, friendly, and great layers. So far the chicks are very friendly, bought 3 Ca Whites and 2 Easter Eggers and the CAs are much friendlier than the EEs. They will come over and sit on my lap given the chance. I also avoid aggressive breeds because I have OEG bantams in the same flock as the layers. They aren't that easy to find, my feedstore only got 25 in and I was there the day they arrived to buy some before they sold out (all chicks are selling out in 2-3 days in my area).

Here is a video of them from a couple of days ago spending some outside time.

Last edited:
I just bought some California Whites a week ago, wanted some for several months and the feedstore got them in.

They are supposed to be gentle, friendly, and great layers. So far the chicks are very friendly, bought 3 Ca Whites and 2 Easter Eggers and the CAs are much friendlier than the EEs. They will come over and sit on my lap given the chance. I also avoid aggressive breeds because I have OEG bantams in the same flock as the layers. They aren't that easy to find, my feedstore only got 25 in and I was there the day they arrived to buy some before they sold out (all chicks are selling out in 2-3 days in my area).

Here is a video of them from a couple of days ago spending some outside time.

Thank you so much for sharing!

I was buying a sex link and Ameraucana from a local breeder, and asked if she had anything that fit what I was looking for. She is working on a Sultan color project and had some cull chicks (didn’t have 5 toes in both feet) that she said would lay a white egg and were very friendly. The strain she is working with lays really well, which I was surprised and happy to hear, because everything I’d ever read about Sultans said they were terrible layers. As a bonus, they were free too, and I got a couple to up my chances that one would be a pullet. (And since they were free, I didn’t feel bad about picking up the Isabel Ameraucana I had my eye on and an Easter Egger because why not? Chicken math. 🤣 The last pic shows 4/5 of the chicks.) Both Sultans ended up being pullets, which I’m excited about! They are super sweet and my daughter adores them.

Attachments

• 92A851FA-FB8F-4F70-A7D3-CE8485C6A72D.jpeg
    92A851FA-FB8F-4F70-A7D3-CE8485C6A72D.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 8821561F-65F0-4242-9192-FFD8CA97B4EA.jpeg
    8821561F-65F0-4242-9192-FFD8CA97B4EA.jpeg
    622.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 5ACB15F8-F2C7-46A7-B490-33B131FC4298.jpeg
    5ACB15F8-F2C7-46A7-B490-33B131FC4298.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 4
I was buying a sex link and Ameraucana from a local breeder, and asked if she had anything that fit what I was looking for. She is working on a Sultan color project and had some cull chicks (didn’t have 5 toes in both feet) that she said would lay a white egg and were very friendly. The strain she is working with lays really well, which I was surprised and happy to hear, because everything I’d ever read about Sultans said they were terrible layers. As a bonus, they were free too, and I got a couple to up my chances that one would be a pullet. (And since they were free, I didn’t feel bad about picking up the Isabel Ameraucana I had my eye on and an Easter Egger because why not? Chicken math. 🤣 The last pic shows 4/5 of the chicks.) Both Sultans ended up being pullets, which I’m excited about! They are super sweet and my daughter adores them.
Congratulations! They are adorable! :)

Back
Top Bottom