Californian Quail... housing and feeding requirement questions

Handle them frequently to get them used to humans so they won't be afraid of you as adults. I have 9 in an outdoor aviary and one indoors as a pet. The indoor one follows us around the house and likes to cuddle, but as adults they ALL hate being touched. They do become aggressive during mating season (males vs males and females vs females) and need large spaces or separation as others have mentioned. They're intelligent and social. Please don't confine them to small battery cages.

@007Sean what do you feed your adult valley quail? I'm wondering if I'm giving mine too much protein.
I have my feed custom milled. It's 24% protein and has the proper amount of methionine + cystine and lysine and other minerals, vitamins not found in commercial feeds.
I feed this from hatch till death.

I have my feed custom milled. It's 24% protein and has the proper amount of methionine + cystine and lysine and other minerals, vitamins not found in commercial feeds.
I feed this from hatch till death.
Thanks! Would you mind sharing what's in the milled feed, or the nutritional analysis you seek (eg cystine, lysine), to try to replicate locally?

Back
Top Bottom