Calista has some fight left... Spotted Python

Aneesa's Muse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
Well... we lost the battle with One and Three.. but little Two has lasted this long, and she's had one meal on her own since she hatched way back in June!!

So tonight, I figured I would push her a little further and risk force feeding her.. which can actually backfire and be very detrimental, leading to death, anyway.... but I just lost One on Wednesday and I can't lose another so soon. (I've been running through every other option of getting non-feeders started ..and repeating them several times even ...with no results.)

I prepped an f/t pink with some supplements/vitamins ..squished it good enough to go up a 5 cc syringe... and slid the tube in ever so gently, plunging appx. 3 cc's of the squishy meal as slowly as humanly possible...

...and I have one very pissy little snakey girly now, but it was all worth it, if it saves her life!
big_smile.png

IM002013.jpg

Hopefully, giving her a real name may also give her some extra will to live, too! This is little Calista!
tongue.png

She's beautiful. I had a red tail boa for years until she got out for a few weeks after we moved. Found her very cold and almost dead. Warmed her up and tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat, died a few weeks later. She was almost 6 feet long. Her name was Dinky.

key west chick... I am so sorry to read that
sad.png
Some people just don't realize that these slitherin' beings are our pets and our loved ones just as much as a barking dog or finicky cat ..and we mourn them and hurt for them, when they leave.. all the same.

Thanks, Jordan... and yeah.. I lost Three in my hands, actually... and I found little One gone early Wednesday. (I also lost the Cornsnake that the same guy sent me, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet.) I couldn't sit back and do nothing for Two.. not when she showed some interest and ate a meal on her own the once.
hmm.png

redhen... sometimes some of the Python species (and other snake species, as well) just don't get started well. There are a LOT of reasons ..survival of the fittest.. ill kept husbandry (their environment.. housing, temps, etc.) ...neglect in the form of not feeding ..cuz you either don't want to take the time or you cannot afford all the animals you produce ...and a few other colorful things that will not be beneficial to anyone but me.. for calling them like I see them
roll.png

...and also wild caught (WC) parents or long term captive (LTC) parents that were never properly acclimated to captivity, therefore passing some of that down to their first few generations of offspring, in the form of "I'd rather die than be kept in a box!"

The last part is just a suspicion without tangible proof.

Oh.. and before anyone turns me into a dog and cat hater.. I am NOT! I lost my cat, Aneesa, last year ..to some strange thing that 2 Vets couldn't figure out before it took her. I've had cats in my life for 40+ years ...and only my last 15 or so have been without a dog, but it's not easy ..or fair... to have a big dog in a small dwelling
wink.png

We have ball pythons. Getting the young ones to eat can be a real challenge. Some will only eat live some only dead.
We have had good luck with feeding the picky ones gerbils. Soft furred rat babies seem to be a favorite of pythons.
Does the snake have a hide box? Have you tried feeding in the dark? We have snakes that would only eat when it was dark and quiet for them.
Is the snake warm enough?
Good Luck, I hope she does well.

Skyesrocket.. thanks for the info. I operate an Exotic Rescue from my home, and I deal with a LOT of reptiles ..including snakes. My snake racks and individual quarantine tanks/tubs are all temp/humidity controlled for the specific species that inhabits them. I have an excellent Herp Vet at my disposal, as well. As far as trying different methods for feeding these snakes, yes.. ALL were attempted several times in several different ways. I even tried things that some of my more experienced herping friends ...20-30+ years of experience.. had never even heard of. Nothing worked.

Gerbils and ASF's are not available in California, btw.

If you've dealt with enough Python regius, you are aware that some just do not make it. No matter what you do.

Thanks, Jordan... and yeah.. I lost Three in my hands, actually... and I found little One gone early Wednesday. (I also lost the Cornsnake that the same guy sent me, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet.) I couldn't sit back and do nothing for Two.. not when she showed some interest and ate a meal on her own the once.

Dang, that is horrible. I cant believe you lost the corn as well, that is insane. Do you have any idea what caused it? Yeah, I wish you all the luck I can to get this girl going.
hugs.gif

When you breed more animals than you can keep up with ..have to ship new hatchlings off to your friends cuz you can't keep up with them ...and you are too involved with more important things to yourself (not the reptiles, of course)..... ...stuff like this happens.
hmm.png

The temps were perfect ..no outages... and she was fed every week. She was active and she handled well ..if a little bitey.
tongue.png
I have no idea what could've gone wrong, other than she wasn't started off well enough. She wasn't parasitic, so I didn't take her to my Vet ..and I can't do a necropsy on every animal that comes through here... especially the way these came through.

I won't be doing any transactions with that person again, though.

Oh.. and a few people warned me off the guy with the pair of WSR's that I showed you, so that isn't going to happen either.
sad.png

Thank you for the good luck wishes!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom