Call Duck Agression

FarmKeeper24

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Indiana
Hi everyone! I could really use some help and advice. I work as a farm keeper at a small zoo and this year we were lucky enough to get a new exhibit for three adorable call ducks. I instantly fell in love with all three of them. They are all boys born from the same clutch and are now just over a year old. Lately, two of them have been going back and forth a lot. Usually "Leonard" is being chased out of the pond or chased away from the food by "Howard." I always just assumed it was a pecking order thing. But the other day we found "Leonard" on "Howard's" back trying to push his head under. Does anyone have any idea as to why they would be fighting or how to try and curb it?

Our curator is suggesting sending one of them away so I'd really like some help to make sure I can keep all three of my boys!

Thanks guys!

Sounds hormonal.

A few thoughts - are they near any female waterfowl? Sometimes proximity to females can stir up aggression in drakes.
Are they bored? Do they have space for foraging, anything to noodle around with?
Are they cramped? Are there visual breaks, shrubs, rocks, stuff that help them get away from each other and out of sight?

There is a large pond over run with geese and ducks across the path from them so maybe that is lending a hand in their agression. I try to often supply either wood shavings, hay or shredded paper for them when I can as enrichment but their exhibit is mostly empty. I'll see if upping the enrichment will help.

Thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom