Call duck day26 none hatching

Cocolady

Chirping
Jan 20, 2017
Hello Ladies,
I am looking for some help and guidance.
I have been reading loads of old threads about problems hatching call ducks and helping etc

I had 5 call duck eggs, on Monday day 23 I candled and saw no movement only a lot of fluid and what looked like something bobbing around in the fluid. I did the water test and made a v stupid assumption that the duckling was dead. However upon opening the egg I saw movement. The duckling died but on inspection I saw that he was tiny and his bones were soft/floppy.
I know I should have left the egg and not opened it it was such a stupid thing to do and I can tell u I didn’t sleep a wink that night.
I have now four eggs now under the duck and today is day 26. I candled them yesterday and saw movement but I don’t think any of them have internally pipped. And I am assuming internally pipped means that they have broken the membrane and are now in the air sac?
Would it be obvious when they have internally pipped ? I thought one has on day 23 but when I checked yesterday I didn’t see anything..
These are shipped eggs and one of the air sac seems v large and is going across the egg so I’m not sure how much room the duckling would have to develop properly.
I really don’t want to open up another egg after my last experience which has traumatized me forever 😰
Should I wait until day 29 before I do anything?

Hello Ladies,
I am looking for some help and guidance.
I have been reading loads of old threads about problems hatching call ducks and helping etc

I had 5 call duck eggs, on Monday day 23 I candled and saw no movement only a lot of fluid and what looked like something bobbing around in the fluid. I did the water test and made a v stupid assumption that the duckling was dead. However upon opening the egg I saw movement. The duckling died but on inspection I saw that he was tiny and his bones were soft/floppy.
I know I should have left the egg and not opened it it was such a stupid thing to do and I can tell u I didn’t sleep a wink that night.
I have now four eggs now under the duck and today is day 26. I candled them yesterday and saw movement but I don’t think any of them have internally pipped. And I am assuming internally pipped means that they have broken the membrane and are now in the air sac?
Would it be obvious when they have internally pipped ? I thought one has on day 23 but when I checked yesterday I didn’t see anything..
These are shipped eggs and one of the air sac seems v large and is going across the egg so I’m not sure how much room the duckling would have to develop properly.
I really don’t want to open up another egg after my last experience which has traumatized me forever 😰
Should I wait until day 29 before I do anything?
Sorry you're having trouble. I really despise the float test, it's so inaccurate and leads lots of people to make the same mistake you made by opening perfectly fine eggs. About your other eggs, I have zero experience with calls, and I know they have more difficulty hatching due to their short bills. I'll tag @WVduckchick and @Isaac 0 for you. They hatch and raise calls so they should be able to help. Call ducklings are adorable, be sure to post pics when they hatch! Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply.
It’s been a complete disaster. We had one fertile egg of our own which showed no movement for theee days did the float test and the duckling was dead and he was perfect, we were so upset as he was from our own ducks. So when I did the float test again and it floated the same way as the other egg I was full sure it was dead so it was so distressing when he was alive but he was tiny and not developed at all.
This was supposed to be a nice adventure but it’s tiening into the most stressful thing I have ever done.

Thanks so much for your reply.
It’s been a complete disaster. We had one fertile egg of our own which showed no movement for theee days did the float test and the duckling was dead and he was perfect, we were so upset as he was from our own ducks. So when I did the float test again and it floated the same way as the other egg I was full sure it was dead so it was so distressing when he was alive but he was tiny and not developed at all.
This was supposed to be a nice adventure but it’s tiening into the most stressful thing I have ever done.
Aw, sorry it's not going well. Calls are notoriously hard to hatch though, so don't beat yourself up too much. It was probably not your fault at all. Hatching is not for the faint of heart, lol. It is stressful, but seeing the babies at the end is worth it. They don't all make it, and there's nothing we can do to change that.

Supposed to be day 26 but some do hatch day 28.
So I candled about an hour ago and one is def not developed it’s like the one I opened on Monday. Lots of fluid in it and the duckling is only taking up about half of the egg. There’s movement in the other three alright and one has either pipped or is moving up against the membrane.

Your incubator temperature is way off. You need to get a calibrated thermometer, before you hatch any more eggs. :( They will have all kinds of problems even if they do eventually hatch with temps off that much. :(

Back
Top Bottom