Call Duck Egg Color

JessicaRichens

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
What color eggs do call ducks lay? Does each kind lay the same color? I want to breed snowy call ducks, but thought about getting a few gray or white hens. Would I be able to tell the eggs apart, so I wouldn't end up with a mixed breed?

Both my Whites and snowy's lay pale green eggs...it depends on the specific bird, but most likely you won't be able to tell them apart. If you're trying to hatch purebreds you'll have to keep the different breeds separate though, because all three kinds will interbreed, and egg color won't matter.

If anyone has pictures of call duck eggs and doesn't mind posting them it would be helpful. I've never seen call duck eggs before.

Last edited:
I just had a former call duck breeder tell me that call ducks lay greenish to white eggs. I was really hoping I could tell the eggs apart. Mainly because I want more than one variety. They're all so cute!

Both my Whites and snowy's lay pale green eggs...it depends on the specific bird, but most likely you won't be able to tell them apart. If you're trying to hatch purebreds you'll have to keep the different breeds separate though, because all three kinds will interbreed, and egg color won't matter.

That's neat that you get pale green eggs! Are they like a mint green?

Are there any bantam breed of ducks that lay eggs that would be easy to tell apart from call duck eggs?

Are there any bantam breed of ducks that lay eggs that would be easy to tell apart from call duck eggs?

Call ducks lay eggs that vary from female to female. They range from shades of green, beige, bisque and white.

Black East Indie eggs start off black an get lighter as additional eggs are laid. By the end of the season. BEI eggs have gone from black, dark grey, medium grey to pale grey/white.

In order to keep your call ducks "pure colors", you would need to separate each color variety. If you place them all in one aviary or pen, the offspring will be "mixed". They may or may not look like any particular variety & often they will be mismarks and have color flaws, which makes them undesirable to a lot of people. If you are planning on selling ducklings or young adults, I would recommend keeping each color separate, as they will be more marketable and can yield more money.

hope this helps. Enjoy your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom