1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck Egg Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alexwilko, Feb 21, 2014.

1. alexwilko

alexwilko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    Hi all can anyone help me please.... I have male & female call ducks & on Tuesday of this week I excitedly found our little ladies 1st egg. Being rather excited I rang my mum who has chickens to see what I was best to do with it, leave it, take it out, eat it! Mum suggested to mark it & put it back & she might lay more, which she has done we now have 2!!!

Now here is my question! What do we do with the eggs? I'm scared to crack them as I don't know what might be inside them with us having male & female. She doesn't seem very broody at all.... If they have baba ducks inside shouldn't she be sitting on them to keep them warm? Can the eggs be eaten? I've read that fertile duck eggs can cause meningitis & ecoli.... Not good when u have 2 toddlers who love eggs!

If anyone could help I would be extremely grateful..... Thank you in advance x

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well i don't know where you heard that about fertile eggs but that simply is not true, we use my Muscovy eggs here and i own drakes and i have had babies, so i know there are some fertile ones lol

They won't have baby ducks in them till she starts to incubate them, meaning sitting and keeping them warm, she clearly isn't interested in doing so, i hear mixed things on the broody level of calls, mine have yet to come into lay so don't know right now.

[​IMG]

3. alexwilko

alexwilko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    She is coming up to 9/10 months old now feel like we have had them forever! (Not sure if that a good or bad thing ha ha!) she is certainly not interested in sitting on the eggs at all! As soon as his lordship (mario the drake) leaves the coop she is off waddling after him!

I read it on another forum about fertile eggs, I'm just freaked out at the thought of cracking an egg & what might be inside! [​IMG]

4. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    It is just like a chicken egg. There will not be anything different in it than if you bought it in the store. I eat them all the time. Your duck will not sit on them so you should just put them into the fridge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by