Call Duck Eggs: Artifical Versus Natural Incubation

I would love to read more on this subject, as I want to hatch my butterscotch call ducks' eggs, but I don't know if I can do the whole hand-turning thing because I can't guarantee I'll be home enough to always hand-turn... I sometimes go out of town for a day or two, or go to my other house, hang out with friends for a weekend, and so on...

If anyone knows of any egg turners that could be used with call duck eggs on their sides, that would be great! I really want to try and hatch some.

Thankfully, the particular model I'm using right now turns eggs on their side (i.e. as nature intended). I'm currently using the Brinsea Mini Advance.

Just off the top of my head, the Brower Top Hatch and the Lyon/Marsh Turn-X turn eggs on their side.

the only true way to ever know whats best is lots of eggs tested by vertical rolling and horizontal rolling.The vert auto tuners dont actually (Roll) the eggs thats why I like alittle hand turning but i dont think horizontal or vertical makes a difference. I think its the rolling effect. For me the BIG difference was the misting of the eggs.But like you said your chicken had a great hatch and I dont think she sat in the pond before sitting on the eggs
lol.png
I do know for a fact on my exotics I could hardly ever hatch them the whole way in incubators (several kinds)and different turning methods until I started misting them. wierd huh.I used to have the ducks set on them for at least 7 to 10 days before putting em in

Quote:
I am of the opposite opinion of you. What you are describing as "rolling" is egg turning. Egg turning is one variable, and it is a given. Fowl eggs, of any kind, must be turned occasionally. Like I said before, whether the eggs are turned by bird, machine, or person makes little difference. Egg position during incubation, whether vertical or horizontal, is another variable. I think it plays a role in waterfowl hatch rates, with eggs being incubated on their side (as in nature) having better success rates. Read the quote above from Acorn Hollow Bantams, the person that wrote that has decades of experience with waterfowl. Eggs, when incubate as nature intended, don't typically sit up on end as they do in many automatic turners. My point is this: the closer that we can imitate nature... the better hatch rates we can achieve. Eggs don't rock back and forth vertically in nature. They lay on their sides and are occasionally shifted by the hen. We should try to imitate that, particularly with eggs that are difficult to hatch like calls.

I don't have any experience with the misting thing. I only know of one source that actually recommends misting waterfowl eggs, though I'm sure there are more. I know that SundownWaterfowl here on BYC advocates misting and claims it improves her hatch rates. But again, I have to ask myself where these notions originate. A hen doesn't "mist" her eggs. A duck and a chicken hen's body temperature are the same. Both birds incubate at the same temperature and neither one inherently gives off more humidity on the nest. A cochin hen, for example, can actually hatch a clutch of call duck eggs as well, if not better, than a call duck hen and she doesn't carry a mister or ever return to the nest wet. When a duck hen begins to sit, she rarely leaves the nest and only for short periods. Furthermore, she doesn't return to the nest sopping wet. Anyone who keeps ducks knows that water rolls right off their feathers. Whatever additional humidity she might generate from a quick swim would be short lived on the nest, I think. I think another variable might be involved in claims that misting helps duck egg hatch rates. Then again, I'm just speculating. If it actually works, then great!

Like I said in my previous post, I gave one of my cochin hens 6 fertile call duck eggs last year. All 6 of them developed up to hatch, and 5 of them actually hatched. So whatever that hen is doing, she did it right. The humidity she gives off didn't increase just because she was sitting on duck eggs. Her temperature and humidity were the same had she been sitting on her own eggs. I'd not think of hatching mandarin or other wild waterfowl eggs in an incubator, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them to a cochin hen.

Last edited:
Scott- You do make an incredibly good point about the issue of humidity in relation to a hen hatching the eggs. You're right, she wouldn't give off more humidity with different types of eggs. Hens can be excellent for hatching waterfowl eggs. As you have seen, you will often get 100% hatches. Why then waterfowl eggs need considerably higher humidity when incubated artificially, I don't know. It sort of defies logic, doesn't it? That said, they *do* seem to need higher humidity. I have tried just about every thing you can imagine over the last several years with temperature and humidity settings and I always get my best hatches when the humidity is significantly higher than what I use for chicken eggs. I am really not sure why this is as far as the science goes. It could also be something related to porosity and gas exchange.

We lost power early this morning during a storm... so for about about 3 hours, the incubator wasn't on. By the time power returned, the temperature in the incubator was 90 degrees. I think it should be alright, but you never know. I'll candle on the 7th day to get a better idea how things are going.

I agree with citychicker, it does defy logic.every body has debated this topic for years.we all have different opinions,I would consider myself a hobby breeder as I dont try to raise as many as possible. now I just trade birds for birds i want,I havent been doing ducks for (decades) only 12 yrs.just so ya dont think of me as a newbie.Whatever method you are confident with i say use.I was just trying to tell you and others my methods that work for me for many years, still my favorite way is momma duck. what Im trying to say is a vertical turner does not roll the eggs they rock back and forth . they never (roll ) unless you hand turn them, mark em with a pencil if you dont believe me.I wont post on this thread no more so I dont beat a dead horse or duck.
lol.png
I only have 1 pr of show quality grey calls now. Up to 3 yrs ago had several dozen whites,greys and black east indies that had atypical call duck aspects, loved em. If I ever want to get back into em one of my best friends does greys and another got my whites.yeah!This year im cutting back to 50 to 60 ducks to start doing some of the much more rarer ducks such as baikal,falcated,brazilian etc. hopefully I can do well with these like my other birds. I will always have to keep the 1 pr of grey calls because they are one of my sons favorite.The girl is the longest and loudest quacker Ive ever seen in my life.
gig.gif
BTW you should be OK since only dropped to 90.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, DestinDuck... I'm glad you posted on this thread. And feel free to post as much as you'd like. I didn't mean to sound abrasive. Its good to have another wild waterfowl BYCer on board. You have far more experience than I with artificial incubation.

Where did you get your Bufflehead Ducks? Are they laying yet? Have they laid eggs for you in the past? And I agree, grey calls are nice. I'd get a pair if I had room.

just got the buffles ,thats why I may not have eggs this year till they settle in.I too hope I never sound harse.i will try to take a pic of my greys today.(just learning being more computer savvy)ha ha. Good luck on the hatching

Back
Top Bottom