Call duck eggs on side

18angovem

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Warren Pennsylvania
Ok, so I am currently incubating 4 call duck eggs in a freezerbator on their sides on a auto turning tray, I have a temp and humidity recorder and those are both fine, and all 4 developed, but they developed on their sides, I'm worried that because they are on their sides they won't pip right. I put them on their sides because that's what they are in the nest so I figured they would be fine. But like the air pocket is on the normal end but the embryo is developing on the side of the egg. Any ideas on what to do and if they will hatch fine? I can't figure out how to upload photos, but i have photos of them. If you need them just pm me. Thanks!

Sounds like your turner isn't working. If it had been turned regurlary, the embryo would move from one side to the next as you turn the egg, slowly. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like your turner isn't working. If it had been turned regurlary, the embryo would move from one side to the next as you turn the egg, slowly. :)

The turnee never does a full 360 tho, it only does around 270 degrees, so they always stayed around the same spot

I'm a first-time Hatcher so not experienced by no means. but I had my eggs in my first set laying on their side but I hand turn them. 1 out of the 4 eggs pipped on the side of the egg and I had to help it out but it is doing great. in my second set that is hatching at this moment my incubator temperature had gotten too low and did not realize it and they were laying on their sides hand turned. 6 total, 1 hatched fine on his own second pip at the pointy end of the egg I had to help it out but is doing great the third pip in the center of the egg still waiting for the yolk and blood vessels to dry out and I'm sure I'll be helping it out also so don't give up doesn't mean you can't get a lot of healthy babies.

Back
Top Bottom