catch22

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2021
I was trying my first round of Call Duck eggs via an incubator, and after having them shipped in, and having to put wax on a couple cracks of two of them... I was feeling pretty good about the clutch. They went in officially on April 1st. Well the outlet that the incubator was plugged into appeared to have been the wrong choice. I am thinking on Saturday night (4/3) around 5:30pm the incubator was unplugged due to the door being shut. Now we are 4/5 (Monday morning) and I just went to check them and the incubator was unplugged at 70ish degree F.

I quickly plugged it back in and am hoping for something to come of it.

Has anyone had this happen before with Call eggs.... Is there any chance they pulled through? I have read a bunch about chicken eggs pulling through after the incubator being shut off for a period of time, but did not see much on duck eggs. I know call eggs are finnicky. I'm wondering if I keep this set in for about a week or two and if nothing is seen candling after that I trash and start the process of getting another batch.

I'm completely devastated and upset with myself for not checking it sooner. But I had everything automated for less human error and now... here we are.

Should I leave the egg turner in or remove it? What assistance should I be giving the call eggs when we make it to hatching period?

I am not familiar with call ducks, but I would assume the Mamas take breaks. There is a good chance your eggs are fine. Candle after a week and see how they are doing.

Great! Everything is developing nicely. Had 2 some in cracked and had to put a little wax on them. One is still kicking the other quit on me. There were about 7 I dont think were fertile to begin with so down to 40 out of 56.
I’m so glad to hear that! :celebrate

40/56 sounds pretty good! Hope they keep doing well and you have a great hatch! :clap

Back
Top Bottom