Call Duck Hatching HELP!!

Doodlemom121

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
Hey all- new here. I've been reading all the threads on hatching call ducks, but I guess I just need some reassurance from experienced hatchers.

I know ducks take FOREVER to hatch- and know patience is key. I have hatched calls before from my own eggs- once 2 years ago and we got 7/10 to lockdown and all 7 hatched- but for the life of me I cannot remember if we assisted or not. A few weeks ago, we hatched out 1 of 2 incubated eggs- it hatched unassisted but is a solo duckling.

I currently have 9 call duck eggs on lockdown- these were shipped eggs, started with 18... so 9 at lockdown seems successful for shipped eggs. We locked down on Monday (day 25) as we thought we saw one had internally pipped when we candled (just shined a flashlight through the side of the incubator). Yesterday (day 26) we added a safety hole to that egg. Today is day 27 and still no progress on the one with a safety hole. We think one other has internally pipped and all the eggs are wiggling occasionally.

I have a kebonnixs 12 egg incubator. Temp stays a steady 99.5 in this and the humidity we had 50-55% days 1-25 then upped to 65-70% during lockdown.

I am mildly panicking cause my day counter on the incubator still shows 3 days left- I had set it to 28 but somehow, it's a day behind my manual calculation? The eggs were placed in the incubator Friday February 9 so maybe it's because I counted that day as day 1 but the incubator didn't start counting back until February 10? I am thinking the ones that will hatch should all be out by Friday / Saturday at the latest- is that accurate? Is it OK to open the incubator to check for internal pip / make safety holes? I don't want to shrink wrap anyone or rush anything, but I also would love to get as many of these guys to hatch as possible (especially since I paid for the eggs 😆) so am fully prepared to assist when necessary / appropriate.

PLEASE GIVE ME ALL THE ADVICE!!

just wait. a watched pot never boils? no! a watched pot boils at the same speed, but it will always feel like forever.
Literally FOREVER… I keep telling myself to give it time but then I panic that if they do need help I wanna be on top of it so I don’t wait too long. Such a balancing act.

Oh my goodness, I know this feeling/panic. Just wait until the hatch date. I have shrink wrapped a call before (they suck at hatching themselves, honestly) and it feels worse than the anxiety of waiting. If you get stuck in a bind and need more I have fertile eggs I would be happy to send you (free if you cover shipping). Call duck panic is a whole other level of panic. Best of luck!!!

if there in lockdown an extra day it wouldnt hurt anything. but to have a 50% hatch rate is not great. have you ever checked to accuracy of the the incubators temp gauge? ive had incubators be quite off. otherwise yea dont open it let them be i only start to worry on day 30.

Back
Top Bottom