basiljowii

In the Brooder
May 12, 2023
We have a call duck egg that is trying to internally pip, we first noticed it trying to internally pip on day 25 and it is currently day 26, about to be day 27 and it still hasn't managed to internally pip however we can still see it trying (We aren't opening the incubator we can see the air sack if we shine a torch by the side of the incubator) Is this normal for call ducks?

We have a call duck egg that is trying to internally pip, we first noticed it trying to internally pip on day 25 and it is currently day 26, about to be day 27 and it still hasn't managed to internally pip however we can still see it trying (We aren't opening the incubator we can see the air sack if we shine a torch by the side of the incubator) Is this normal for call ducks?
I have heard before on here that they can be difficult to hatch because of the size of their beaks. I am not going to advise you either way though. I would not interfere myself until it had internally pipped and had been over 48 hours after that. Just my thoughts from my regular duck eggs. Good luck on your hatch.

I have heard before on here that they can be difficult to hatch because of the size of their beaks. I am not going to advise you either way though. I would not interfere myself until it had internally pipped and had been over 48 hours after that. Just my thoughts from my regular duck eggs. Good luck on your hatch.
Yeah, ive heard the same I know people say to help them with the external pip , I just feel like the internal pip shouldn't be taking this long especially with the amount of movement the duckling is putting in to try and pip.

Yeah, ive heard the same I know people say to help them with the external pip , I just feel like the internal pip shouldn't be taking this long especially with the amount of movement the duckling is putting in to try and pip.
I've been helping them in the last 2 batches as I can also help keeping their membrane humidified. I do this only after internal pip. I think if they can't internally pip they might not be strong enough or the weight loss % is suboptimal.

I hope you got some over the weekend? I manage to get 3 out of 4 fertilised to "hatch"/come out. Out of these 3 I did have 2 external pips but I decided to help as I wasn't sure if helping 1 affected the humidification of the other 2. I've only ever had 1 in a prior batch that zipped by itself.

I've been helping them in the last 2 batches as I can also help keeping their membrane humidified. I do this only after internal pip. I think if they can't internally pip they might not be strong enough or the weight loss % is suboptimal.

I hope you got some over the weekend? I manage to get 3 out of 4 fertilised to "hatch"/come out. Out of these 3 I did have 2 external pips but I decided to help as I wasn't sure if helping 1 affected the humidification of the other 2. I've only ever had 1 in a prior batch that zipped by itself.
I was fortunate mine was hatched out under a Mallard Hen and I honestly think she might have helped it out. It is a mix with I believe a Muscovy and the Call Duck was a Black Swedish or a Black Bibbed, I don't know how to tell the difference. At a month old it has the beautiful white chest and still has its black feet that are splashed with a beautiful yellowish orangish color. It is not growing anymore as Calls are done growing after 3 weeks. It looks a lot more like a Call than anything else. It is getting some white on the tips of its wings and taking after its Call parent more than anything else. It has a pointed tail and I am hoping for a female rather than a male.

Sadly not, the one I was talking about in this post sadly died and another two unfortunately followed after it. We're still trying though

I was fortunate mine was hatched out under a Mallard Hen and I honestly think she might have helped it out. It is a mix with I believe a Muscovy and the Call Duck was a Black Swedish or a Black Bibbed, I don't know how to tell the difference. At a month old it has the beautiful white chest and still has its black feet that are splashed with a beautiful yellowish orangish color. It is not growing anymore as Calls are done growing after 3 weeks. It looks a lot more like a Call than anything else. It is getting some white on the tips of its wings and taking after its Call parent more than anything else. It has a pointed tail and I am hoping for a female rather than a male.
All of my male Call Drakes have a squared off tail. This one has a pointed one and a larger tail end than the drakes. Maybe a girl I hope?

Sadly not, the one I was talking about in this post sadly died and another two unfortunately followed after it. We're still trying though
So sorry to hear this. I have heard with their short necks and tiny beaks they are difficult to hatch out. If mine had not been under my Mallard I don't think it would have made it either, I saw her rolling the egg around and messing a lot with it so I figured she helped it out knowing by instint just when to help it out.

I suggest you monitor their weight loss and play with humidity, see my other post on here.

Check for internal pipping from D2-5 and assist by D5 if no external. Don't worry about opening incubator, I dipped my hand in water before I reach in though.

Here's a photo of how I assisted.

PXL_20230609_181042057.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom