Call Duck info?

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I've only briefly had ducks before. i had a mallard named Ferguson but he flew away.. or got eaten.. not sure which. Anyways. we have a pond in our back yard that supports droves of wild wood ducks each year and even now there's a trio of some sort of wild ducks in there.. i want to get some pet ducks.. but i know from when i had Ferguson that ducks eat entirely too much. lol. way more than chickens do. I'd like to get some call ducks and i've found some possible people i could get some from. But I want to do my research first. What kind of shelter do i need for them? They're going to be free ranging. I plan on building them a shelter of some sort near the pond so i can shut them up at night so they won't get caught. What's the best way to do this? Any pics of your duck huts would be appreciated. or advice about call ducks.. Food, shelter, breeding, hatching.. all that stuff. Will the mother raise her own babies without me helping?

I've only briefly had ducks before. i had a mallard named Ferguson but he flew away.. or got eaten.. not sure which. Anyways. we have a pond in our back yard that supports droves of wild wood ducks each year and even now there's a trio of some sort of wild ducks in there.. i want to get some pet ducks.. but i know from when i had Ferguson that ducks eat entirely too much. lol. way more than chickens do. I'd like to get some call ducks and i've found some possible people i could get some from. But I want to do my research first. What kind of shelter do i need for them? They're going to be free ranging. I plan on building them a shelter of some sort near the pond so i can shut them up at night so they won't get caught. What's the best way to do this? Any pics of your duck huts would be appreciated. or advice about call ducks.. Food, shelter, breeding, hatching.. all that stuff. Will the mother raise her own babies without me helping?

They will need the same basic predator proof that a standard duck needs just a smaller scale. If they are free ranging there is a possibility of being eaten or flying off with wild birds. If they are free ranging most of there life it will be VERY hard to get them to come to shore to be protected every evening. They can eat layers and flock raiser in addition to free ranging. Breeding will depend on colors your getting but they make excellent moms.

If i feed them laying pellets in their little hut that i plan on building, will they come inside it at night? When i had that one duck, he just stayed in the pond. so i've never had any ducks that i had a shelter for.. so what kind of place should i build? When do they come of breeding age?

If i feed them laying pellets in their little hut that i plan on building, will they come inside it at night? When i had that one duck, he just stayed in the pond. so i've never had any ducks that i had a shelter for.. so what kind of place should i build? When do they come of breeding age?

If you search this section there is a thread with quite a few bantam duck shelters you could and ideas of where it's best to build. I don't know the exact age they become breeding age but they are seasonal layers.

Ok thanks. Is there anything I need to know about ducks? Like i said, the only duck i had roamed the pond by himself. didn't have to tend to him too much. I'm used to chickens.

:) I had a cayuga and mallard once.. didn't keep them long.. someone gave them to me and i raised them for a few weeks and they ate too much and wasted too much feed.. so i sold them. and the call ducks are so cute i just can't help myself. not i've just got to find some. apparently they aren't very common in my area. Someone was asking $30 for a breeding age pair, said they'll have them ready come summer. is that high?

Back
Top Bottom