Call duck news!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LinckHillPoultry, Mar 11, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yay! I went out and realized my east indie duck had actually started laying eggs. My male snowy call breeds with her. They were cold and had been in the pen for about 3 days though, I observed to see if she sat on them, but she did not. So the next time she lays I will be hatching them! I know they're fertile too because I cracked a couple open and saw the bullseye.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I found the first eggs of the season this week in my call pen too.

3. Ivagrovegirl

Ivagrovegirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    I am very happy with the calls I bought at a show in December. She has layed all winter long with only a few days break during an ice storm. Her eggs are kind of green shelled and great. I am getting ready to get my incubator started soon. I can't wait.

Emily:jumpy

4. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I noticed the same thing emily, a couple of the eggs she layed are bluish.

But I now have 5 east indie x snowy call eggs in the bator.

If only my mandarins started laying now... [​IMG]

I'm so excited!

5. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    My magpie female laid her 1st egg today, not in her nest but just in front of it. This is my 1st duck and first pair. What do I need to expect? Will they go broody like a chicken or is it different? do i go out and get the egg if she is not sitting on it?
    Karen

6. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    ducks will go broody like a chicken. some might not. Some have that "maturnal" instinct. If you really want to hatch it, and you see her not setting, then get it and incubate it or you could very well pop it under a broody chicken.

7. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    I wish I had a broody hen!! geezo, no one is cooperating! [​IMG]
    Oh well I guess I will have to wait,for the bator to come open.
    K

8. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    LinckHillPoultry --
    I have the opposite: a call duck and east indie drakes. I hope they will breed. Please keep us updated, I'd love to see pics. I just lost my male call, so I'm crossing my fingers.....

9. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I currently see no emybro development in the call x indie eggs. I do, however, see development in my one muscovy egg.... so crossing my finger it holds out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by