Call duck ratio

Yup... I hatched Call ducklings for the New Years Day Hatchalong the year before last... and later that January had a full 2 dozen ducklings hatch as well... middle of winter and those were definitely fertile eggs...

Well thank you all for the feedback, I certainly believe/ agree with what you're saying, I'm just very confused why this info is so common if it's completely false......so that aside those who breed calls there should be no issue with say one male and 6 females.

[QUOTE="Eric 2016, post: 18824078, member: 434052" I was told that if you have to many females and a single male he will breed so much that his penis will permanently fall off .

My father told me I would go blind - not that it would fall off.

Drakes can be funny. Some would breed or try to breed a rock given the chance. Others form strong pair bonds and mate primarily with one hen. Your drake may mate all hens , some of the hens, or even possibly limit his mating to one hen. This is based only on my experience.

Yes....My little Call Lucky has mated my rubber boots, the mud flap on my sons Blazer and my poor old deaf Dog too !..:lau.....
The ratio I have is two Hens per Call Drake...That works great for me...

Also...Sorry @sourland...I did not know you were blind?....lol :confused:......:lau.....Kidding......I could not help myself!

Multiple trios will most likely result in drakes breeding hens that you may not want them breeding, and may also result is competitive or 'gang' breeding of the hens.

X2

But the biggest part with Calls would be the not knowing which drake bred which hen... Calls are *in general* more forgiving than most other duck breeds, having multiple drakes in with multiple hens... they do tend to *pair up* or settle into groups... but overmating can always happen no matter the actual number of hens per drake... always best to have an alternative option, like a drake pen for separating if necessary...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom