call ducks flightless or not?

We're after a long and very cold winter here in Southern Ireland and I had been keeping my pair of white calls mainly indoors to protect against the tough weather conditions, when we put them out into their brand new 5* pen in mid Feb they stayed around all of 3 days before dissappearing into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again! I have certainly learnt my lesson and will not be making the mistake of not clipping the wings again with my new pair. I have been advised to only clip one wing though to throw them off balance when they try to fly and have had no problems with my beautiful new couple.
big_smile.png

Honestly, with Calls or Bantam ducks especially, it could have been a predator too. This is a risk you take when you keep them in uncovered pens.

we just got a fertile egg a few days ago......about darn time, I was thinking about call duck soup.
Our ducks get out now and then but they always come home. The kids like to open the cages and walk away.

My little silky hen has now laid 4 of her green eggs. Anybody got any green ham,lol?? My calls are also penned up and have an occasional visitor from the pasersby that stop and look inside their pen. Found one of my Austrolorp hens in with them yesterday and was quite surprised when I retrieved the eggs one of the visitors eggs was also there.

coachhaze60 in NC

Some of mine are starting to lay again. I have Calls laying, Mini Overbergs, Mini Appleyards, and Mallards. The only ones that havn't started are my Aussie Spots.

Back
Top Bottom