Call Ducks help

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
I won a pair of call ducks at my county fair and am looking for ALL the advice. Lay it on me, I need everything. 23428D12-74C5-4A47-91D7-7F2AB85AC50B.jpeg

You will find Calls are generally very easy birds to care for, and considering their size, cleaning, and feed costs are significantly more economical when compared to other breeds.
Call ducks, especially females were once used as decoys ducks for calling in other ducks; as you might guess the females are quite loud. Laying for females often will start in early spring, which can extend into late summer/early fall. They are a breed not known for their egg production, but will regularly attempt to brood on eggs if not taken away daily.
Feed and water dishes should be adjusted for their size, allowing them to easily exit pools and access feed.
When provided proper housing, feed, and water, they will do just fine in Iowa Winters.
If the birds are allowed to free-range, you should consider predator management on your land as they are easily taken by predators. If you plan to hatch birds, they will likely require assistance during hatching - this is due to their small bill which cannot easily penetrate through the internal, and external membrane/shell.
The links below provide some additional information:
https://www.callducks.net/looking_after_calls.htm
http://www.callducks.net/standards&photos1.htm

Just to add one thing, these little cuties are awesome flyers! You'll want to keep that in mind. Once you bring them home, you'll want to make sure they know where home is before allowing them to free range, access to an uncovered run, or clip their flight feathers or they may fly off and succumb to a predator. I love Call Ducks so so much. This is my first year with them and there are some amazing people here to help you along your way. I wish you the very best with your gorgeous Calls ❤️
@Miss Lydia has tagged most of the Call Duck folks that have been the greatest help to me ❤️

Last edited:
You will find Calls are generally very easy birds to care for, and considering their size, cleaning, and feed costs are significantly more economical when compared to other breeds.
Call ducks, especially females were once used as decoys ducks for calling in other ducks; as you might guess the females are quite loud. Laying for females often will start in early spring, which can extend into late summer/early fall. They are a breed not known for their egg production, but will regularly attempt to brood on eggs if not taken away daily.
Feed and water dishes should be adjusted for their size, allowing them to easily exit pools and access feed.
When provided proper housing, feed, and water, they will do just fine in Iowa Winters.
If the birds are allowed to free-range, you should consider predator management on your land as they are easily taken by predators. If you plan to hatch birds, they will likely require assistance during hatching - this is due to their small bill which cannot easily penetrate through the internal, and external membrane/shell.
The links below provide some additional information:
https://www.callducks.net/looking_after_calls.htm
http://www.callducks.net/standards&photos1.htm
Thank you very much! The woman who sold them to me said they could never survive an Iowa winter so those words were comforting ❤️ They are now named Willow (F) and Birch (M) Willow has feathers taken off of her heat form over breeding but they are both so gorgeous

Ok I need more advice! These ducks don’t trust me in the slightest. Are there any treats that your ducks find irresistible? All they have ever eaten in their life is Mauzuri waterfowl breeder. They are now on purina duck pellets until I can get the time to order Mauzuri. I ordered a diaper/ harness for Willow to help regrow her feathers. They seem to have a hard time using the ramp to their pool. They get up on it but never actually dive in. Here’s a photo but now we have added a wood ramp on top of the brick. I keep have to place them in it.
B0DFA13E-DC7F-428E-A544-D74396196AA4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom