Call ducks picking on one male

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
I have 5 male and 1 female (I had 3 female but two died) call ducks that have lived together for 2 years with no problems. I had them in with the chickens for a year and a half, with no problems with each other or the chickens. But last week we built them their own nice run with their own coop and pool. I have a magpie pair, two white males, pastel male and a bibbed male. They all, including the female pick on the male magpie. They NEVER did that until they were moved to the new run.

I know I should have a couple more females but I can't find any! I think I'm just gonna move him in with the bigger ducks for a few days because his neck is all red. He doesn't fight back at all. I know in the wild animals will pick on the weaker, usually sick animals. I hope that's not the case. I just wanted some advice if anyone has any!!

I have 5 male and 1 female (I had 3 female but two died) call ducks that have lived together for 2 years with no problems. I had them in with the chickens for a year and a half, with no problems with each other or the chickens. But last week we built them their own nice run with their own coop and pool. I have a magpie pair, two white males, pastel male and a bibbed male. They all, including the female pick on the male magpie. They NEVER did that until they were moved to the new run.

I know I should have a couple more females but I can't find any! I think I'm just gonna move him in with the bigger ducks for a few days because his neck is all red. He doesn't fight back at all. I know in the wild animals will pick on the weaker, usually sick animals. I hope that's not the case. I just wanted some advice if anyone has any!!
Did you move them all into their new run and coop at the same time? Is this one smaller than the rest? I wouldn't leave him in there if they are picking on him they could possibly hurt him and it's not fair to him either. Have you thought about maybe rehoming some of your drakes and keep looking for some females. usually 3-4 ducks to a drake is good ratio. Other than trying him with the the larger ducks but watch that too because if he is weak from being picked on they may go after him too.

Sorry I just noticed this msg. I put the pair back in with the chickens. They are back to being really happy again. They love being in there with them because they're the only ones in the water and no one picks on them! The boys have the call duck run all to themselves and all is good! Thanks for your help! =)

Sorry I just noticed this msg. I put the pair back in with the chickens. They are back to being really happy again. They love being in there with them because they're the only ones in the water and no one picks on them! The boys have the call duck run all to themselves and all is good! Thanks for your help! =)
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom