Call ducks pipping upside down

Not shipped eggs.
Temp is 99.5 humidity is 60% yes there's a fan
The one I helped is still alive but the sac still isn't absorbed as far as I can tell. I don't want to open the incubator and look for fear of drying out the one that's pipped.
And no more pips since this morning, just the two upside downers. I find that odd. Maybe they just need more time? At this point I'm just trying to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING and hoping there's progress without me interfering.

Do you have room in there to put a cup??

Take a cup put a wet paper towel on the bottom of it Then a dry one make a hole and place him In it. Like this;

Last edited:
Update as of 6am day 27: upside down ducky #1 is still alive, upside down #2 is still alive but no progress yet, and I have 3 new pips that are in the right place which is good news.

These ducklings seem like they are a day behind with their hatching, so this is what I'm thinking after reading the assisted guide to hatching: Sally said that when they are upside down that first pip is an internal AND external pip. So if you realize that it's really the internal pip then the ducks are in no way ready to hatch. I should not have helped. I was more worried about the duck not being able to get out of the shell because it's upside down, but I should have been thinking about it needing much more time to absorb everything.

Update as of 6am day 27: upside down ducky #1 is still alive, upside down #2 is still alive but no progress yet, and I have 3 new pips that are in the right place which is good news.

These ducklings seem like they are a day behind with their hatching, so this is what I'm thinking after reading the assisted guide to hatching: Sally said that when they are upside down that first pip is an internal AND external pip. So if you realize that it's really the internal pip then the ducks are in no way ready to hatch. I should not have helped. I was more worried about the duck not being able to get out of the shell because it's upside down, but I should have been thinking about it needing much more time to absorb everything.
@Lacrystol

What happened here, How did things turn out.

Not that great. Ducky #1 didn't make it, but #2 did. Out of 20 developed eggs I only got 7 ducklings. And out of those 7, I had to help 6 of them out. I understand calls are hard to hatch but last year I had 16/22 hatch and those were shipped eggs. And a lot of those hatched on their own.

So how did I get a better hatch with shipped eggs? Maybe because I treated them like shipped eggs and didn't put the turner on until day 3? I'm going to try that with this next batch.

Also, these eggs just didn't seem ready to hatch on day 26. What do you think of me turning the temp up just a little? It's supposed to be at 99.5, but my brinsea can only be set at either 99.4 or 99.6. I usually put it at 99.4 but I'm thinking of doing 99.6 and seeing if that helps. It's frustrating when I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

And I think my biggest problem is not knowing WHEN to help them. I know how to help them out but I just can't tell when.

I forgot to add that I have batch 2 in another incubator going on lockdown on Tuesday. We'll see how that goes. Not feeling optimistic about it though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom