call ducks questions

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
next spring i want to get some call ducks, and i have lots of questions about them. here’s some -

1) where can i get just 2-3 sexed call ducklings?

2) can i keep them with my current flock? we have 3 adult boys who will get their own pen, and may rehome my newest babies if they are both male, but could call ducks live with a khaki or rouen male? or should i just keep the calls with my girl(s) that i have now.

3) are they good broodies? could i hatch out some of their eggs? what’s a good selling price?

4) is one female to one male a good ratio? someone told me calls pair up unlike other ducks. or should i get two call females? and would a khaki female be too big for a call?

thanks!

I can answer number 4 for you: you should get two females so that way he doesn't over mate with the one female. A khaki wouldn't be to big, I've had a khaki female and a Male mallard I ended up with babys from them.

next spring i want to get some call ducks, and i have lots of questions about them. here’s some -

1) where can i get just 2-3 sexed call ducklings?

2) can i keep them with my current flock? we have 3 adult boys who will get their own pen, and may rehome my newest babies if they are both male, but could call ducks live with a khaki or rouen male? or should i just keep the calls with my girl(s) that i have now.

3) are they good broodies? could i hatch out some of their eggs? what’s a good selling price?

4) is one female to one male a good ratio? someone told me calls pair up unlike other ducks. or should i get two call females? and would a khaki female be too big for a call?

thanks!
from other posts you have made it sounds like you have a lot going on, I thought you were going to start selling khaki campbell ducklings. I am confused. Also I don't think you can order 2-3 call ducklings anywhere

from other posts you have made it sounds like you have a lot going on, I thought you were going to start selling khaki campbell ducklings. I am confused. Also I don't think you can order 2-3 call ducklings anywhere
I'm not going to make any recommendations as just about a week ago, I thought you were saying your family wants to eat your current flock?
once we move we are getting these guys next year but not for awhile

Not all states will allow you to have call ducklings shipped in. These regulations can change from year to year.

while last year I could have had calls shipped to me this year I can’t. States tend to get a little more uptight about flying ducks because they can pollute the gene pool of natural wild ducks. Michigan is/ was really big on wetlands and their animals.

No place I know of will sell sexed call ducklings. Save for a private breeder around where I live that I have heard of. But they don’t ship and you have to ask get cleared by the person who sells through recommendations of other people.

Back
Top Bottom