Calling all Araucana genetic's Guru's Please Help ???

Ytailhunter

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Massena NY
Ok Here's the deal, I am on my 3rd yr now working on my own line and having much success, All my flock has proper pea comb,egg color,leg color,Type is good etc. Now I have 1 Rooster Which meets the european standard (rumpless,tufted,bearded) I have kept him as a Lawn ornament (not with the rest of my flock) But He is so handsome That I Would like To breed him to my US standard Rumpless Tufted Araucana Hen's. The ? I have is if I only Keep Rumpless Tufted non-bearded offspring will they still carry the gene for beards, My line Is coming along so well I dont want to Ruin my progress. Please Advise

Actually, it is incompletely dominant. A first generation cross will give partially bearded offspring. Some partially beardeds have reasonably full beards, in others they are very sparce, but getting back to completely beardless might take selection as well as getting rid of the beard.

I guess my question is whether your goal is European Standard or American Standard for the offspring?

My goal is for the american standard for the offspring while only retaining his color and trait for large upswept tufts.

Back
Top Bottom