Calling all Cornhuskers

Kristib2pea

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Hi there!

I am new to this board. Well, I've been reading for a few weeks now, but finally decided to register today. I am about 25 miles east of Lincoln. I am really bummed because I was totally planning on having a few hens in my backyard, but then I found out my city has an ordinance against it.

So now, my SIL and I are making plans to put a coop on her place out in the country.

I am only about 10 minutes away from the Southeast Livestock Auction in Palmyra and I was hoping to go on Saturday, just to check things out. I didn't end up going because my little girl was sick and it was freezing cold outside.

I hope to meet some fellow cornhuskers here and find out how you guys handle the winter and what predators you seem to face the most.

So, where are cornhuskers from? Maybe you can try searching for the state you are in to see if there are activities in the area. I'm not familiar with that nick name, but I like it!

Hi, I live just outside Union.

I've had my girls for a year now and we made it though the winter just fine. I was worried a few times when it got to zero but their coop was insulated and I gave them a little extra scratch at night to help keep them warm through the night.

I have two coops with runs that they stay in when I'm not at home or at night so I don't worry about predators.

Hey Kristib,

I Didn't go to Palmyra either. They don't advertise very good and I forgot all about it until I read it on BYC last week!!

This winter wasn't real cold, but colder than average and longer. I don't have heat in any of my buildlings, but do have heated water bases for most. Keeping them out of the wind and moisture is most important. Straight combs are usually a problem as they will freeze. I raise alot of wyandottes with rose combs so frozen combs is not a problem.

I would be south of you about 60 miles, close to the Kansas border.

I raise silkies as my main breed along with bantam wyandottes, Salmon Faverolles (Bantam and Standard), Standard Buckeyes, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.

I got rid of my web site since I never could find time to mess with it much and keep it updated. I now just have a page on my providers space - and I need to update it also. I went in and changed the link because it would not go with the www. It should link now!

Now I see the pic on the page is not coming up?!@!@#

Maybe tonight I can mess with it a bit -maybe

I am going to have a ton of show quality silkies coming up for sale if you know of anyone wanting some. Mainly Blues and some splash and black. Might take a bunch up to Avoca, Iowa show on Mother's Day weekend to show/sale.

Nice to know there are a few of us Nebraskans out here.

I have a lot to learn about chickens. I am so excitied to get started, but have a lot of work ahead of me before that can happen.

Good to "meet" you all!
Kristi

My family on my Dad's side moved away from there, but still have their burial plots waiting...LOL, Trenton and Labor day was a great family trek to see the old farm...they've now scattered but I still have the "farm" in me, up here in Alaska!

Back
Top Bottom