Calling all egg recipes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chixruleboysdrool, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    My hens have just started laying and I want to know some egg recipes. Calling all egg recipes!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  4. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Be sure and read the thread "What's up with hard boiled eggs" that is current now in this section. Otherwise you might end up trying to figure out why fresh eggs are hard to peel without tearing up. Enjoy your eggs!!

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Huevos Rancheros

Serves 8
    1 large onion - chopped
    1 green bell pepper - chopped
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup flour
    1 packet taco seasoning – I like Old El Paso
    1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
    1-32 ounce box chicken broth

8 flour tortillas – homemade are best

Mexican blend cheese

16 eggs – runny fried

1-30 ounce can refried beans

Saute onions and peppers in vegetable oil until they are softened, sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook and stir for about 3 minute. Stir in the taco seasoning packet. Add the tomatoes, stirring in well. Then stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook stirring often for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked and sauce is gravy thick.

To assemble.......

Heat refried beans

Fry flour tortilla in butter until crispy and browned on both sides. Spread some beans over the tortilla, top with a small handful of cheese. Place 2 fried eggs on the cheese and cover with Ranchero sauce. Top with another small handful of cheese and serve immediately.

Serve with refried beans and Spanish rice.

Serves 8

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sorry no picture...the night I made this we were on our way out of the house and we had to eat and run. It was good but the sauce was a little tight for my taste, so I loosened it up with a little bit of heavy cream. It was really yummy!!!!!

Anne Burrell's Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Ingredients

Salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 cup pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice (I used bacon...it was yummy)
    1 pound spaghetti
    8 large eggs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 cup grated pecorino (I used all Parmesan...couldn't find pecorino)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    4 scallions, cut on a severe bias

Directions

Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil over medium heat.
    Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta a medium heat and cook until it starts to color and become crisp. Turn off the heat and reserve.
    Drop the pasta into the salted boiling water and cook it 1 minute less than it says on the package, usually about 6 to 7 minutes. Bite the pasta to check the consistency.
    While the pasta is cooking, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the grated cheeses and season with salt. Whisk vigorously until it becomes a homogenous. Season generously with black pepper.
    When the pasta is just about done, return the pan with the pancetta to medium heat. Remove the pasta from the cooking water. Toss or stir the pasta into the pancetta to coat the pasta with the remaining fat in the skillet. Immediately vigorously stir the egg mixture into the pasta. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the egg mixture looks like a cream sauce.
    Serve immediately garnished with sliced scallions.
    Buonissimo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microwave Coconut Cream Pie

Ingredients

3 cups milk
    6 large eggs – room temperature – separated
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 stick – 2 ounces butter
    1 small (3-1/2 ounce) can sweetened flaked coconut
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    10-inch baked pie crust

Directions

1.In a very large microwave save bowl combine then sugar, the flour and salt, stir to combine.
    2.Separate the egg yolks from the whites, keep the whites for your meringue.
    3.Beat the egg yolks with a whisk and slowly mix with the milk.
    4.Gradually stir the milk into the sugar and flour mixture.
    5.Microwave on high whisking often. As mixture begins to thicken whisk hard and often.
    6.When mixture is very thick remove from the microwave and add the butter, vanilla and coconut. Stir well to combine.
    7.Turn mixture into baked pie crust, cover with meringue and bake in a 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden.

Meringue
    6 egg whites
    1-teaspoon vanilla
    1/2-teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2-cup sugar

Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until they hold soft peaks. Then gradually add sugar a little at a time beating well after each addition until all sugar has been added. Beat until sugar is dissolved. Top pie and bake.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars

For the crust:

1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 cups flour
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the filling:

6 extra-large eggs at room temperature (I used 9 of my large eggs)
    3 cups granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 5 large lemons)
    1 cup flour
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
    Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by