Calling all Horse people!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by barred-rocks-rock, May 20, 2010.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I just found out that I can get a horse! What horse would you reccomend for a novive rider? Im about 5'3 (but still growing) . Nothing less than 15 hands, Im starting to jump more competitively. I was thinking Selle Francais but that might be kinda expensive. Any ideas?

2. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Get a Morgan! There great I have one and he loves to jump! he's 15.3 and jumps the fence around he's pen, The fence is alest 3' and he clears it with room to spare!

3. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Best horse we ever had for any purpose was an appendix quarter horse. Just enough height and leg to jump and a really down to earth quarter horse type attitude. That mare picked a pace and just stayed with it. All day long if necessary. Western, english, beginners, advanced, trail, jumping, hunter hack, western pleasure, halter, speed events... she did everything. We regret not having a foal out of her before her legs got too bad at 25 but we used her for so many things that we couldn't give her half the year off for pregnancy. It took 5 horses to replace her.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Thoroughbred cross--Appendix Quarter Horse, Anglo-Arab, etc ... would probably be a good first hunter/jumper for you. Kinda depends on what's in your area too. Just about any breed (individuals with potential) can compete at lower levels.

Congrats and let us know what you get [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ignore breed. YOu are not buying a breed average, you are buying only an INDIVIDUAL horse, which frequently can be pretty atypical for the breed.

Get a horse who's already going well o/f... too much room for making a mistake with buying unproven greenies, at this point in your life. You want something that has shown, with a proven ability to go round strange fences for you without spooking.

Get a horse who you get along well with. Don't let a coach or parent or anyone else bully you into buying a horse because they think it's real talented, or a good deal, or anything like that... you need a horse you really "click" with. This is a very individual idiosyncratic thing.

And be leery of horses with known or suspected soundness problems, unless you have deep pockets and a second horse to ride when the first is out of commission [​IMG]

But ignore the whole breed thing. Really really. A good horse is never a bad color *or* a bad breed [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun [​IMG],

Pat

6. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    The breed really does not matter. what you want to look at is the horses personality and training. I have ridden BIG off the track thouroghbreds that where just the best and most enjoyable to ride. And I rode lesson horses that have been ridden by little kids and fallen off and gotten a concusion. So do your research and bring a trainer with you!!!

7. babyblue

babyblue Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    I agree breed is not important as the specific horse is. stock horses, draft horses and horses breed from them tend to be a little calmer. geldings are mostly calmer then mares and most of the time calmer then studs.

8. Miss Red

Miss Red Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    All the horses I've ever gotten were not because they were pretty, or they had good bloodlines, it was because we clicked.

Hopes Last Chance aka Mama was one of the wildest, smart alec, crazy mares I'd ever seen in my life. She stepped all over her handler and had a very look at me attitude. I fought like mad to saddle and bridle her, took several tries to mount, and she tried to buck me off twice. Once she settled into me, I felt it. A spark. Seven years later I have the best horse I've ever owned, who still tests new people like that whenever they're around her. She chose me, I didn't choose her.

Now I'm not saying go buy some super crazy bucking machine. I'm saying choose the horse that's good for what you need him/her for and choose it because the two of you understand each other.

9. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    There are a lot of horses on the market right now due to the economy and other factors. You will have to look at a lot of animals before you find the one. DO NOT take a trailer with you when you shop. ALWAYS sleep on a purchase before you make it. LISTEN to people that have more experience than you. I had a friend who drove to Arkansas to look at a horse and even though the horse was totally wrong for them ( green broke three year old for a first horse ) they bought it because well they drove 3 hours. the next week the horse pitched her and broke her leg in 3 places 2 miles from home. See if you can lease a horse first before you buy it outright.

10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I would see if you can lease a horse for a while first. I leased horses for several years before I ever bought one, and it gave me a way to ride horses I was comfortable with at the time, but it was very easy to move up when I needed to.

If you are a novice rider, I would also suggest buying an older, seasoned horse first. It doesn't have to be a world-beater in the show pen, but it should be something safe and reliable. Bring your trainer with you to look at horses. Don't worry about breed too much, but I would be cautious to get a breed that fits your style of riding (there are always exceptions...). That means don't get a halter-bred quarter horse if you want to do endurance riding.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by