Calling all LG experts please need advice.

Quote:
I like the dimmer switch knob idea Fudgie! I didn't think of that. I hated to glue the button on the thermostat in case I needed to take the thermo off the LG at some point. Oh well, it will probably just pop off with enough pressure anyway. Super glue is only super when it is on your fingers!

I have 3 therms and 1 of witch is a combo
basic therm hydro combo
little therm that came with it
and a digitial therm I bougt at petco that has a probe you put next to the eggs or on them or what not and the display is outside the bator.
I tested it useing my body temp and seemed to be right on but Ill do it again Id hate to think I was doing all this adjusting because it had gone wonky, but both the others were reading under 100 as well.

Someone tell me that droping down to 97-98 wont hurt the eggs and kill them off .

hit.gif

It will delay the hatch by a day or so but not kill the embryos, however you need to get it under control so they can grow properly.

On the dimmer switch thingy no glue is needed, it just pops on there.

Thanks for this thread i just bought a LG to use as a hatcher and i've learned alot about it from this thread.
ya.gif

I love the dimmer knob idea i just happen to have one of those.

Quote:
I never use mine as a hatcher, I use my home built for that, you have to be careful when the chicks become active they don't get burned on the elements.

Definitely throw away the thermometer that comes with it. Mine was about 9 degrees off. I don't know why they bother to put them in there. Mine is doing great though, temperature is 100.5-101, humidity 53-55. Only have water in the bottom reservoirs. Not varied any in 3 days.

Last edited:
Quote:
I never use mine as a hatcher, I use my home built for that, you have to be careful when the chicks become active they don't get burned on the elements.

I use mine merely for a hatcher. They hatch and are removed as soon as they fluff up. They are moved then to a brooder. I have a clear plastic rubbermaid tub (2' long X 1'wide X 6" tall) that I cut one end of the top out large enough for a heat lamp to shine in. I then put hardware cloth on it.

What I do is let them HATCH in the LG then take the clear plastic viewing window off and reach in(be careful of the element, it burns) and take out the dry babies and put them in the brooder. that way the chicks don't burn themselves on the elements and also by only removing the viewing window you don't jeopardize the humidity or the heat. Very little escapes.

Last edited:
I never thought of the dimmer switch I put a guitar knob on mine with a pointer to help get better control, I don't know why they are not standard. Also after a couple scares I installed a water heater stat as a emergency cutout if the temp goes above 101. I have two fans to get in once I am done with this batch...

Back
Top Bottom