calling all orpington owners!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    gotta question! I have 7 orpington hens. 3 buff, 4 white.About how many eggs a week will each one produce? I've heard different amounts on websites, I thought I'd ask someone who actually has one.. Also, exactly what color are their eggs? When I researched the breed before getting some, I heard Brown eggs, Then I've heard off-white? So, I'd like to know, what to expect. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. azelgin

azelgin Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I have Buffs. Mine lay about 5 a week. Eggs are very light brown. They look almost off white, compared to the Wyandotte's eggs.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I only have one. Her eggs are a light brown and she lays one egg every day.

4. jnjross

jnjross Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i have 5 and the eggs are brown, of 5 eggs i'll have 3 diff shades of brown from terracotta - to a pinkish purple, large. in these 90+ days they lay every other day

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Thanks Guys! [​IMG]

6. My buff lays six eggs a week in summertime, and they are tinted. (Not brown, but not white either.)

They're quite small compared with our bluebelle's eggs, but the difference is in the white, not the yolk, so that's fine by me!

7. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 2 hatchery Buff Orps. Both are excellent egglayers, when they aren't broody. But they are broody a lot! (Both are sitting on eggs right now.)

One stopped laying over the winter, the other didn't. Egg production slowed down of course, but she still laid at least 3 eggs a week all winter long. Unless she was broody...

Both lay large, longish brown eggs, one is quite light, the other is much darker.

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My Buff Orpingtons aren't old enough to lay yet BUT... I'm a firm believer that with most breeds there are lots of conditions that improve their egg production. Starting with just raising them healthy.... I'd also say the more you "baby" them and keep fresh water and food to them the better your results will be long term.

Just my take on it...

Good Luck!!

9. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    Got my very first egg today! From my orpington. She started her egg laying song and I didnt have a clue what was going on. She was very antsy and didnt want to leave the coop. Anyway, she layed a small off white egg. I was so excited, I guess you have to have chickens to understand, but thats why we are here huh? It was as good as any Christmas gift I ever got. I was that EXCITED! Now I cant wait for tommorow!

10. Nemo

Nemo Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Whatever color it is, it's this color...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: