Calling all Pekin duck raisers! Pekin ducks Qualities/traits!

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hi, everyone. Well my pekin is laying eggs, she started about two weeks ago and has laid an egg everyday. i know that isnt surprising to some other pekin duck breeder/raisers, but what i am seeing in my pekin hen is that she wont sit on the eggs at all.....not even on one that i would leave behind to see if she would go sit on it.

I know that these traits have been taken away from them since they have breed for meat(or sometimes eggs) purposes, but i have heard of other pekin duck breeders/raisers that have wonderfull pekin hens who sit on their eggs and hatch all of them..........is this a trait in genetics that passes on to offsprings(so do their daughters come out the same? there should be that happening)

It would be great for all the Pekin Duck Breeders/Raisers to post on their experiences with their pekin hens on their laying and sitting....mostly if your hen is that one of a kind great mother that sits on their eggs.....dont forget to post pictures too!

(also before i forget, is there such thing as a show quality pekin duck? if so what is the difference...thanks!

Thanks!

Photo138.jpg
Here they are clean!

Pekinpairfertileeggs2.jpg
The duck wont sit so into the incubator! first time incubating so wish me luck!

Photo285.jpg
a little dirtier!

If she just started laying chances are she's to young to go broody. And if you do want her broody, you may have to leave quite a few eggs in the nest, as they don't usually sit on just one in nature. I don't have any experience with Pekins specifically, but that advice holds true for most poultry. Good luck!

I have Pekings and can't wait for them to start laying..how old are your ducks, mine are 4 months.. I also have 2 pair of fawn/white runners also waiting for eggs.. My bator is warmed
up and really to go..I hope someone else that knows what they are talking about comes on and tells all..

Don
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom