CALLING ALL SAN DIEGANS! Please invest a few seconds to read this!

cool.png
best of luck to you. My memories of North County involve HOA rules up the wazoo. Submitting paint chips to the committee fir approval to paint the house.

yeah... but I think I might as well try and go out fighting anyway
lol.png
trying to work on my spreadsheet right now... kind of hard thinking of all the factors to include into it.

Hello San Diego, glad to see this discussion.

I am also in SD city limits. I do not quite have the 50 ft to all residences as the city code states. I hope to ask for the 'Special Permit' that the city code ALSO states. Have you or anyone you know in San Diego gotten this permit?

Hi sdChickie,
As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I am wrong;))no one has been able to get the special exception permit as there is no person or department that handles that permit process? See the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=78935 ; recent activity to get the law changed is around page 11 I think. Chris in South Park has more info.

Laura, does your device have the ability to just record for 24 hours with some sort of time stamp?

Coastal chick sorry I don't have a device with those specs. If I could rent one that would be cool but I am guessing if one does exist it will be very pricey and I probably wouldn't lend it out then lol!

The one I have will take a reading for a max of 15 minutes before going to sleep. But it will tell you what the loudest point in db that particular recording was. Unfortunately if one person walks away from the device the device might very well record ambience sounds and a jet would likely pass by and register high peak db but without monitoring the peak may appear to have been the chickens -__-

No worries about the device:) it just means I'll have to be quick on the button when the parrots do their fly over between 5:45 am & 6:15 am

Hey there Im in, well Im nervous to say since I have chickens already and found Im not supposed to given the 50 ft law thing... but I am very interested in helping with your cause, since I love all these gals... Unfortunately we found to have a Rooster he hasn't crowed yet he's still young but soon he will need a home because I do have just one cranky neighbor that has nothing better to do and complain about everything!!! So pls email me, so we can discuss what we can do!!!
Hope all is well and love to hear from you soon!!!
Vanessa
Mother of 1 daughter, 4 cats, 1 dog and 20 wonderful chicks!!!

Welcome Vanessa, we certainly could use your help in our plan to get local planning committee recommendations.

We are making good progress and are joining with the 1 in 10 coalition, the outstanding group that was crucial in getting our community garden ordinances changed a month ago. Tomorrow, July 20th, the San Diego City Council's Land Use Committee will hear initial input regarding urban chickens. Supporters are encouraged to attend. Take a look at page 3 of the agenda:

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm_agendas_attach/2011/LUH_110720_7a.pdf

Also, Rachel has been very busy doing some great work - she presented at the OB planning committee and had a great writeup in the San Diego Reader! http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/news-ticker/2011/jul/13/backyard-chickens/

We
still need to continue presenting to different planning committees - the council is much more likely to give us favorable results if the majority or all of the planning committees recommend the change. Anyone who would like to help please contact me so we can get the request before your local committee.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom