Calling all silkie experts!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkieluvr, Jan 29, 2009.

1. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Hey everyone, here are a few pictures of my two silkies. They just turned 4 months old and I am still unsure if they're boys or girls, also any comments/ criticisms are very welcome! Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    dunno- but how do you keep the white one that sparkling clean!? Serious reflective snow-like glare there [​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The white is definately a pullet, and the buff looks like one as well (full body shots would help [​IMG]). Type looks good on the white, and what can be seen on the buff. Unfortunately, the buff is to dark to be shown.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Both pullets. The white hen is very nice. Like LilPeeps said, the buff is too dark.

5. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Thanks so much to everyone that answered, that was much better luck than i normally have, could it really be that both chicks to hatch are hens!? In regards to the buff, would she be okay to breed? Or should I retire her to just being a pet due to the color?

Congdon476- haha, I haven't done anything special with fluffy(white) she's never been bathed, just kept corn out of her diet and she doesn't get a lot of sun exposure. Also, she only goes outside when it's nice and dry.

6. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    you can just breed the buff to a lighter buff roo!!! losta purty chickies! [​IMG]

7. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] wow that white one is so pearly white!! wow beautiful birds! sorry i cant help you on the gender but very pretty

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Both girls and I want your buff!

IMO, The buff silkies out there are getting way too light in color. They should not have an almost white underfluff and a lot of the ones I see do, and they are getting marked by judges for undercolor. Having a darker buff color would help get the color to remain a nice rich buff color in the offspring.

9. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] WOW!! Beautiful Girls!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

10. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Both of your girls? are beautiful. I don't know anything about the accepted colors for showing, but that buff's color is just georgous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by