Calling All Yankees and Urban Warriors in MA!

Hi everyone! Just joined the board but been reading since last summer. My husband and I moved to our permanent, long time home at the end of August. It was really too late to get our chickens so now that there are faint signs of spring we're getting going. Our home is on 4 acres and has a barn for the bigger critters who will be joining us in the summer. More about them some other time...
lol.png

Tomorrow I begin Operation Warm Chick Home (aka brooder), for our very first chickens.
My husband and I are thinking of somewhere between 6-12 chicks, and I want to get Aracaunas and Red or Black Sex links. I've no idea where to get chicks without placing a big order through the hatcheries, so, I am going on a "tour" tomorrow to the -feed store -several local farm stands, Home Depot etc for chicken supplies.

Our neighbors (who we met just once before the snow came) have a rooster and several hens so if we have no luck finding chicks and chick people we'll talk to them too. As you may have guessed, we live in a more rural area- Pepperell/Hollis NH line. Lots of horses all over. There is also an ag committee in town so I'll be in touch with them sooner or later. We am so excited to be here. My husband browses the board also but I'll probably be the main poster.

My husband is a foodie amateur chef, so he's psyched for future fresh eggs, and I'm in it for the animals!

If anyone has suggestions, or is thinking of an order, let me know! Maybe we could go in on one together?
Maybe someone knows of nearby places to get chicks.

Anyway, glad to be here.

Hi
frow.gif
welcome to BYC there are alot of members on the NH/MA line. I think its a long line because i am not even sure where your part of it is. It looks like you are a major animal lover.....you will love it here
smile.png

Hello and Welcome!
My Pet Chicken, who has a banner on here, does small amounts of birds...

Tractor Supply has chicks.
And any of the animal feed stores should too.
Agway should also...
True Aracaunas are hard to egg...you're more likely to get an Easter Egger than one of those tailless jobbers.
But I love EE's...so it's not a big deal.

There isn't a TSC too close by, though there is one in Merrimack NH. I have no idea if they would carry chicks but I suppose I could call them.

Our excursion yesterday netted:

-Brooder lamp and 250w bulb
-small feeder tray
-small jug waterer - the tray says its for quail. The tray part is narrower than the ones I've seen pictured but the feed store fellow stated it should be fine for chicks.
-chick starter from the fine folks at Poulin Grain
-hardware cloth for the lid of the tub
-pine bedding (we will switch to this after they are clear on their food, we'll use towels the first few days)

Anything I am missing?

We were not able to locate a good thermometer, since the feed store was out of them. Any suggestions where to find one? I looked at Home Depot and didn't see anything appropriate.

We got the last brooder lamp too. The feed store also gave us info on a poultry dealer in Townsend MA. We went, only to find out he didn't have what we were looking for, but it sounds like we could go back whenever and get 1 month olds if we are not picky about the types. The guy was very friendly, and we bought some eggs.

Edit - I didn't realize EEs meant Easter Eggers and that true Ara's are hard to find, so thanks for mentioning that.

Last edited:
We're in Ashby, and got our chicks last year from the Farmers Exchange in Townsend center. We're getting six more this April, too. They order from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. They order what they call "Araucanas", but they're Easter Egger mutts (One of mine has Silky-type feathers! Her name is "Fuzzy". She looks like her sisters in every other way, and lays large turquoise eggs). I love them no less, and we get various shades of eggs... greenish, turquiose and a very light brown/pink. They're not as productive as our neighbor's Rhode Island Reds (Egg MACHINES!) but we're doing this for ourselves, thus far. Each girl is unique looking (unlike most other breeds) and each has her own distinctive egg color (so you know who is laying)! You have to call or go in to the Farmer's Exchange to order chicks ahead of time. They get chicks every couple of weeks all spring.

http://www.pharmersexchange.com/index.htm

Also, I get organic chicken feed from a farm in Townsend. They have pellets and crumbles, but I don't think they have grower. I also got scratch from them this winter.

http://www.northfortyfarm.net/

Welcome and have fun!

Wow, great!

Since I originally posted, I've gone in on an order with someone else on the board, Ideal to Littleton Agway, and then to us. I am going to go crazy waiting! But, on the other hand it's good because we have some time to prep their future home. I didn't know about that feed store in Townsend so I will have to check it out.
Will definitely check out the organic farm also.

Do any of you belong to CSAs or food co-ops? There's one in Groton, and I think I just saw a listing for another one Townsend.

Glad to have so many neighbors nearby!

Quote:
Don't be nervous. It is not hard to brood chicks.
My suggestion is not to get the Eglu ahead of time. You may change your mind about housing after taking the class. Codman Community Farm in Lincoln MA has over 200 chickens so you can observe many breeds there. They are open every day except Monday and admission is only $1. Right now in addition to baby chicks there are baby calves, baby lambs and baby goats. It's a great low key place to take little kids as well as grownup kids. I volunteer there and work mostly with what else....chickens!

Sheesh, you drive right by my house then--in winter, I can see the Pike from my backyard. Can't see my house from the Pike, though, not even when the fireplace is blowing smoke. Not sure how the camouflage works in one direction, but it does.

Back
Top Bottom