calling any one from missouri

We have some chicks this morning! So far 6 out of 11

9DE4D142-5DC3-4F51-989A-AF50F910FED7.jpeg

Also some iris... these came from my wife’s granny’s old place

ABCF33F6-7BD1-4997-9912-DA092BED27F3.jpeg

and I saw a zebra in the drive way... well zebra swallowtail

24CC4634-D701-41C2-9AE3-429B67D925CB.jpeg

have a safe weekend everyone!

I'm not having any luck trying to get the utes to sleep on the roost bar at night. I put them up there a couple of times yesterday evening but they all ended up in the pile on the floor. Anyone have any ideas what I might try?

JT

I usually have had to do it after it’s good and dark... I put them all up but about 1/3 stays put... then I rinse and repeat for the next couple days until the last of the slow learners catch on

I put a few up on the roost last night after we got home from our anniversary dinner at the The Depot in Fredricktown and this morning 3 were up there side by side so we'll see tonight what they do. It does appear that the roost is not long enough for all 12 to be on it and a few that tried to fly up from the floor with the front door closed had a hard time.

Eating at a restaurant was somewhat normal except for some tables were not available for use and they had some outside tables setup under the Depot roof where you used to board the train. The server said they only had 3 servers working at the moment.

I turned on the fans for the first time over the poop table and in a heart beat there was 9 chicks on the floor. After a few seconds they all thought it was normal and started scratching about until the lights went off then I had to get them all back up to the brooder. I've been leaving the lights on until a hour before sunset due to a tree that was blocking the west window. I think I turn them off during the morning hours now as I almost have that tree whittled down to a nub. Hanging on to the driving end of an 11 1/2' pole saw wears you out pretty quick. It didn't help to have a super thick wad of blackberries at the base some up to 10' tall.

Hmm, the lights just came on as it's sunrise here so time to clean up and fill up.

JT

I put 10 chicks on the floor this morning and let them roam around and scratch then started putting some on the steps and within a few minutes they had all found their way back to the feed and water. One even flew down to the floor for a bit of scratching then flew back up so I left the doors open and will watch them on camera for a while.

Here is a photo from the camera.
5-24-20-01.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom