calling any one from missouri

I started seeds for orange butterfly milkweed ( or whatever it’s called) this year and it’s done pretty good... so far ... this is them in the rock garden... I’m thinking they’re not gonna bloom this year 😉... but I thought the same of the prickly pears, lol
View attachment 2211117
I tried planting some seeds this year as well. Mine haven't even come up. 😞
We do have a lot of the vining milk weed that gets those big pods full of seeds with the white fluff in them. They have just started coming up and climbing all over everything.

My DH said his grandpa used to have a team consisting of a very large horse named Buck and a very small mule named Jimmy. This was before most people had automobiles, but someone ran their car off the road and got it stuck in the ditch. So Grandpa took Buck by himself to pull the car out. He got him hooked up to the car and said,'Pull Buck, Pull Jimmy!' Someone asked why are you calling Jimmy when he's not here? Grandpa said, 'Buck won't pull if he thinks Jimmy's not helping. '
My MIL, as a girl, used to ride Jimmy bareback across this section to visit her sweetheart, who she later married....
That's a great story! :clap

What wasn't too wet this year?But they tend to do this every year They start looking really good and then as soon as it gets warm they start to fry. I think they get too much direct sun. But it is earlier than usual they don't usually fry until about the end of July.

With an engine that won’t start, its helpful to determine if the issue is that “it’s not getting a spark, or not getting fuel”... as that rules out half the potential problems ...

Like wise with plants it’s sometimes helpful to determine if the problem is above or below the dirt...

Something about your pics (particularly the one that died but had one part still alive) makes me think it’s a below the dirt problem...

root rot, or some pest that is attacking the roots maybe?

I planted some redbud seedlings this spring and had a few extras I planted in buckets just as backups in case one of the ones I put in the ground didn’t take...

For one of the extras ... the holes in the bucket stopped draining and with all the rain it stayed too wet...

and then one day a couple weeks ago when it got hot the leaves just wilted and then turned brown 😐

Finally got the play pen secured enough to get some work work done and I can watch out for trouble on the camera.
run-19.jpg

JT

Found out yesterday that our neighbors lost 12 chicks their daughter had incubated and hatched. They had a different schedule from their normal and a door got forgotten. When daughter got up to feed all the chickens she discovered what her mom described as a massacre. All 12 dead, headless bodies, blood and guts everywhere. They are pretty certain it was a family of racoons. Daughter was quite distraught and felt horrible. My daughter is notorious for going to say goodnight and put that spoiled Silkie "to bed" (her words). Had a talk about needing to make sure she has everything closed up and locked up when she does as I can only imagine her upset if the same thing happened here.
May ought to invite my husband's coon hunting buddy from high school down here!

Found out yesterday that our neighbors lost 12 chicks their daughter had incubated and hatched. They had a different schedule from their normal and a door got forgotten. When daughter got up to feed all the chickens she discovered what her mom described as a massacre. All 12 dead, headless bodies, blood and guts everywhere. They are pretty certain it was a family of racoons. Daughter was quite distraught and felt horrible. My daughter is notorious for going to say goodnight and put that spoiled Silkie "to bed" (her words). Had a talk about needing to make sure she has everything closed up and locked up when she does as I can only imagine her upset if the same thing happened here.
May ought to invite my husband's coon hunting buddy from high school down here!
I dreamed last night that happened here. I went out early this morning and checked, all was okay.
Yesterday evening I got them all locked in early, 7:30, all 3 groups. I tapped on the doorway of the new coop and all the incubator chicks went right in and got on their roost. I could have kissed them!

Back
Top Bottom